Sign in to follow this  
robh

Snowbird Experiences

Question

I’m curious how COVID has impacted snowbirds this year. For those of you that are already out what has your experience been? I’ve heard from folks that went to Arizona that are cutting the trip short or moving to another state. 

We are heading south later this month, to where remains the question...

4 answers to this question

We are the opposite, SUN BIRDS and head north in the summer.  This past year we have opted to be safe and stay put and avoid travel.  We are concerned with our own health as well as the health of others.  The COVID cases are surging in the normal snow bird destinations.  We are outside of Houston and are hunkered down.

My advice is to just stay put, and get you vaccination.

Ken

We traveled from Indiana to Arizona the end if October. While some of the amenities are closed in our resort, Happy Trails,  most are open with limited numbers using at one time. The restaurants that we like are open. We still eat out 1 or 2 times a week. But we do go at off hours, 11:00 for lunch or 3-4:00 for dinner. The restaurants have been very careful to spray and clean door handles, tables and chairs or booths. Servers wear masks and we are required to wear masks while entering or leaving. Stores, Walmart, Home Depot, groceries etc require masks in their facilities. Or residents in the resort wear masks when they leave vehicles to use any facility.  

We are Sun Birds also and are typically gone from the heat May-June through Oct-Nov time frame.  We also hunkered down for the summer. DW was climbing the walls so in November before thanksgiving we when to Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, TX for 10 days.  While there we followed the same protocols that we did here at home. Wear masks, social distancing, and ordered our food an brought it in or cooked at the RV.  We were just as safe there as we were at home. RV's are spaced apart, we sat in our chairs outside and talked to people strolling by and more than 6 foot distance.  It's doable.

We both had our first vaccine shot on 1/4. DW had a sore arm for a day and I had no problems at all.  Second shot will be Feb 1st.  We are still practicing the same protocols and will most likely do so after the second shot.