mjkfmca

Route from Panama City fl to Denver CO

Question

First time towing. What is the best route from Panama City FL to Denver CO, regarding clearances, weight, avoiding mountains, steep climbs, and availability of services. (Least time in middle of nowhere) . Have 8 yr old F53 V10 Coachmen Mirada 25k mi., towing 4dr Jeep, every bit of 25k lbs.

Thank you very Much.

3 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, mjkfmca said:

First time towing. What is the best route from Panama City FL to Denver CO, regarding clearances, weight, avoiding mountains, steep climbs, and availability of services. (Least time in middle of nowhere) . Have 8 yr old F53 V10 Coachmen Mirada 25k mi., towing 4dr Jeep, every bit of 25k lbs.

Thank you very Much.

Welcome to the forum. 

That should be a pretty simple trip. Go north till you hit I-10 then go west to Houston. Pick up I-45 north. (wave at the Sam Houston statue as you go by) I-45 to I-20 then I-20 west. When you get near Fort Worth take 820 north (keeps you out of the down town area.) Follow 820 around to I-35w north. Go north on 287 when it splits off. 287 to Amarillo.  Now  you have at least 3 choices. You can  go up 87/287 to Boise city where it turns into 385 to Lamar. Then it's 287 to Limon where you pick up I-70 west to Denver area.

Route 2) from Amarillo, go west on I-40 to Vega then take 385 north to Channing, at Hartley pick up 87 north. Follow 87 till it runs into I-25. I-25 north to the Denver area. 

Route 3) Take I-40 west to Albuquerque then north on I-25. Little longer rout but I like ABQ.😁

Drove rout 2 this last summer. I have driven them all and a couple of variants. 

I don't see any big problems.

Bill

I like #1 the best, scenic, little traffic between Amarillo and Denver, when I had gas engines, that was our choice....Now it don't matter! :D 

Maybe not shorter but with less traffic and hills, here's my route.

Pick up I-10 in Florida to Louisiana and take I-49 north to Shreveport.

In Shreveport take I-20 west to Lindale, TX.

At Lindale pick up US Hwy 69 north to Bells, TX and US Hwy 82.

Take US Hwy 82 west to Gainesville, TX and I-35

Take I-35 north to Wichita, KS which turns into I-135.

Continue north on I-135 to Selina, KS to I-70.

Go west on I-70 to Denver CO.

Very little traffic a few hills but mountains. Biggest town you would go through would be Oklahoma City, OK