mypopslou

Replacement Tires Comparison

Planning to replace the tires on my coach within the next several months and viewed what FMCA offers. I do have some questions:

Currently I have Michelins XZA2 295/80r/22.5

Hankook does not have my exact size but the closest is 295/75r/22.5 and the FMCA price is between $313 and $417 with no explanation on the differences

Continential has my exact tire and the FMCA price is $547

Michelins exact match to what I have on coach now and the FMCA price is $671.67

Big difference in price, looking for advice on quality and also the size difference with Hankook. I have read good things about Hankook, I think someone mentioned they have a stronger sidewall than others. I am sure all 3 are good choices or FMCA would not have them listed but would like to know if there are any other differences than price.

Need to make a decision within the next couple of months so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

1 hour ago, mypopslou said:

is 295/75r/22.5

That tire is not a typical replacement for the 295/80R22.5. It doesn't meet the weight requirement's of the correct tire for your coach. 

On my old coach, American Tradition 45', I went with BFG 315/80's...great ride!  You might check out TOYO's and Kelly.

Problem now is availability, due to coronavirus!

The 295/75 is nearly 1.25 inches shorter than a 295/80 tire which changes the circumference by nearly 4 inches which will drastically change the speedometer accuracy also on the drive axel.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:08 PM, mypopslou said:

Continential has my exact tire and the FMCA price is $547

I ran Continentals on my last coach and was happy with them.  Hankook are probably ok but make shure you get the  right load range. They don't show it on the website and I have raged on them but they haven't added that information. They need to. 

Bill

Sailun commercial truck tires has a model S606, 295/80R22.5, LR L, premium all-position  tire with adequate load carrying capacity. I have Sailun tires on my MH and IMO they perform better than the Goodyear G670's they replaced. In 2017  I paid $1,380 for 6 275/70R22.5 tires mounted and balanced incl. taxes. They are made in Vietnam using the same construction design as Michelin.

Thank you for your help, I need to do this but not for a couple of months, still in research stage, sounds like I should stay away from Hankook

8 hours ago, mypopslou said:

Thank you for your help, I need to do this but not for a couple of months, still in research stage, sounds like I should stay away from Hankook

Not sure why you are ruling out Hankook tires.  There are many members that run then and are satisfied and have praised their performance.  I just had my second set of Hankook's installed on my 04 Holiday Rambler Endeavor.  The only reason for changing them was because they had been in service for seven years.  During the seven year I traveled over 50,000 on all types of roads under conditions from crossing the desert in 120 degree weather to traveling mountainous snow covered roads without a single issue.

f433921, which Hankook tire did you put on your 04 HR Endeavor. My 02 HR Endeavor has Michelin XZA2, but sidewalls are cracked and I am considering the Hankook as a replacement. Mine are 275/70/22.5 and I’m considering the AH37 and was wondering what you put on your coach.

Thanks 

I see more Hankook and Continentals on commercial carriers than any other brand. I've run Hankook many times with no problems.

Some companies make a few varieties of a particular tire model in the same sizes - sometimes the difference is in the load rating and sometimes something else. You've got to read the fine print carefully.

Here's a link to Hankook's tire book with all the specs: https://www.hankooktire.com/us/files/technical-manual/2021_TBR_catalog.pdf

Hankook does not show my tire size, I need 295/80/22.5 and they only show 295/75/22.5 and do not list the load rating, which is why I am hesitant to consider, both Continental and Michelin show my tires size in load range H.

If available is it possible to go to the next load range as my coach is heavy and if so would that be a load range I and is that available.

Any help is appreciated

1 hour ago, mypopslou said:

Hankook does not show my tire size, I need 295/80/22.5 and they only show 295/75/22.5 and do not list the load rating, which is why I am hesitant to consider, both Continental and Michelin show my tires size in load range H.

If available is it possible to go to the next load range as my coach is heavy and if so would that be a load range I and is that available.

Any help is appreciated

I think the load range skips from H to L, I forget why.

3 hours ago, mypopslou said:

Any help is appreciated

Looks like Hankook does not have the exact size you need, if you want to stick to the identical dimensions. You can go slightly up with the 12R22.5 or slightly down with the 11R22.5, but neither are spot on. There are other options from other brands with the correct size.

Load ratings are included in the Hankook book. They list the tires by the ply rating, and in the back of the book is a chart which converts the ply rating to the letter designation.

Richard, I sent a link to his exact tire size in Hankook! Some dealers are either too lazy to seek this out or just plain don't want to take time to look them up, or maybe I can't read 295-80-22.5 very well. Last time out to eye doctor they said that at 75 years old, i STILL HAVE 20/20.

Edited by kaypsmith

7 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Richard, I sent a link to his exact tire size in Hankook! Some dealers are either too lazy to seek this out or just plain don't want to take time to look them up, or maybe I can't read 295-80-22.5 very well. Last time out to eye doctor they said that at 75 years old, i STILL HAVE 20/20.

I know you did, but I don't see that in the current tire book from Hankook. Did I miss it?

Two things you must check when replacing tires.

1. The stated max load capacity molded on the tire sidewall. This should be stated in the tire company literature.

2. If you are not getting the identical 9not just close) size you MUST confirm the new tires have equal or greater load capacity than the old tires. Be careful with matching or higher Load Range.

3. If you change size be sure to confirm "Minimum Dual Spacing"

You can learn more on dual spacing here

4 hours ago, rsbilledwards said:

Just do not use Firestones! Will sidewall fracture in 3 years....yup I have them on my coach

That's a really broad paintbrush you're using there. I understand that you may have had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean the entire product line is bad. Lots of reasons for sidewall problems.

My previous tires were Firestone FS400 and they were almost 10 years old when they were removed and had barely a hairline crack anywhere. My current tires are Firestone FS561 and I'm even happier with them than the FS400s.

Richard, button up so are mine same 561s. A few days after installing 2 months ago I was at a camp ground  out side of Mobile 2 months ago. There was a Beaver Marquis there. It was beautiful. The same FS 561 tires were on it, date 2017....fractured all over all 8 tires, ugly...3 inches out from rim.... Perviously had Goodyear HSS on the coach tire pressure front 100, rear 105. Drove wonderfully. Firestone’s at same pressures, twitchy. Nope they are going to have a new home  when I get back to Colorado in June. Let me know if you want them, I’m not going to wait and see.

Can't explain it - it's obviously not the experience I've had. Mine ride much better than the Goodyear I had on our previous coach.

So the bad tires were on the other guy's rig and not yours?

Perhaps Tireman9 can chime in, but I suppose every company has had a bad run of tires at some time but that doesn't necessarily mean all their tires are bad.

Since I haven't seen the tires it's difficult to know what the issue really is. What did the Firestone dealer say when you had them inspect the tires?  Can you provide some good pictures (well lit, reasonably close).

Richard, I just put the same tire on mine. The checked tires were as I indicated on another coach and 3 years old. I reread my post sorry for the confusion...my coach had the Goodyear’s and I replaced with Firestone’s. Beaver had the 3 year old badly checked 3year old Firestone’s. Apologizes also to TIREMAN four the complete confusion I caused

Richard, I did not imply “all” of their tires were bad but the 561 series is certainly suspect at this juncture.

Edited by rsbilledwards