robh

FMCA Classifieds

I’m wondering why FMCA does not offer member classifieds. Most member organizations offer this and it is usually a significant source of revenue for them. Given the current situation with FMCA it seems like it would be worthwhile. 

Last I knew a member could purchase classified adds in the back of Family RVing. Most that I have seen are for RVs, towed vehicles and property. 

I’m thinking an addition to the forums page. Digital ads would be nice and knowing sellers and buyers are members would be somewhat reassuring. 

Sorry, the Forum is free of adds...If it was not, then we could not regulate if it was a C# member or F# member, who was trying to sell something.

Does it matter what kind of member as long as they are a member? Charge $50.00 for a classified ad, just seems like a simple revenue source. 

Thumbing through ads would take so much time out of our hands just to view someone post.  I'm glad this forum is keeping it as separate  area of market and not in the middle of our post.  

Actually, what about a separate forum thread for buy/sell/trade?  

I'm currently in the market for a used motorhome 2000-2005 gasser.  I'd be looking there if there were ads.

What part of Herman's answer, you didn't understand?

We are the messengers, we do not make policy!  Take it up with FMCA.

51 minutes ago, robh said:

This forum actually is titled for FMCA feedback. Might want to change or delete it if suggestions are not welcome here.

Carl & Herman - I've got to agree with robh on this one. If this forum is designated for FMCA feedback, doesn't that imply it's the place for members/users to provide feedback to FMCA leadership without being slapped down? Wouldn't it also imply that FMCA leadership is monitoring this forum for what members/users are saying? If not, then it really is a waste of everyone's time to even have this particular forum.

robh, since you seem to be fixated on classifieds on the Forum here are the Forum Rules.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Thank you for visiting the FMCA Forums, where motorhome owners -- from novice to veteran -- can discuss everything about motorhoming. To promote a fun and welcoming atmosphere, we have implemented the following rules:

• Check to see if your question/comment already has been addressed somewhere on the site. Use the search feature.
  • Post in the correct forum. Look at other topics and see where your topic should go. Do not cross-post the same question to multiple places.
  • Choose an appropriate Topic Title. Try to summarize your subject briefly in the title, and elaborate in the message itself. Repeat the title in the body if it will make things clearer. An example of a bad title would be "HELP ME." A good title might be, "Cummins ISB Engine Fails on Steep Incline."
  • Do not use a URL as a thread title.
  • Keep all posts on-topic. We may delete individual posts that could ruin a good topic thread. Threads that evolve into good-natured, off-topic banter are better suited for a personal contact method such as a private message or e-mail.
  • Include as much information as you can when seeking help. This may include: coach make/model, engine, chassis, transmission.
  • Solicitations to buy or sell of any kind are strictly prohibited.
  • Do not post to advertise your product or business. Commercial advertising is not permitted in any relation to your account, including URLs or active links in your profile or signature.
  • When recommending a product to help a user solve their issue, please disclose any affiliations -- paid or unpaid -- you may have with the provider of that product.
  • Any post deemed to be self-promotion, advertising or spam can and will be removed. Posting excessive, unnecessary references to your products and Web sites is self-promotion.
  • You may post about problems you have with a product, company or organization, but using the forums for repeated attacks is forbidden.
  • Posts on matters in which legal counsel is/has been involved, including posts related to future, current or past lawsuits, are not allowed.
  • Political and religious posts are not permitted.
  • Keep all comments civil. Constructive criticism is welcome, but insults directed toward other users or the site administrators will not be tolerated.
  • You may not use this message board to post any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
  • FMCA reserves the right to remove any message deemed inappropriate or disruptive to our Community.
  • If a topic is recognized as a violation of any of these guidelines, please contact a Moderator or an Administrator either via Private Message or the "report post to moderator" feature; do not respond publicly to the member. And please do not argue a moderator's decision publicly on the forums.
  • FMCA reserves the right to change these rules as necessary to meet any future needs that may arise.
  • FMCA is not responsible for any messages posted. FMCA does not vouch for or validate the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and is not responsible for the contents of any message.
  • The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of FMCA.

Within these guidelines, FMCA encourages information exchange, friendly debate, socializing and good humor.

Thank you for being part of our online community.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

These are not my rule but are the rules I must follow. 

Herman Mullins

FMCA Forum Monitor

Edited by hermanmullins

I like this one:

• "FMCA reserves the right to change these rules as necessary to meet any future needs that may arise."

Might be they could consider future needs of a classified section.

Since this forum is titled "FMCA Feedback" I'm curious if anyone in leadership monitors posts here so they can see what feedback is being offered?

I don't really want to get into a tizzy-fit here but I personally believe that the post about having a classified add section is a valid feedback. It's not like it is going to be a thread that is going to pop-up every time someone accesses the forum, but only on the individual user's demand. I would use it, if nothing more than to see what things are selling for.

There is a flip side to everything. Any sales adds would have to be reviewed by someone to make sure they are not a scam, human trafficking, prostitution etc. That would have a cost associated with it and with any business the profit would have to match or exceed the revenue collected from such ads. That involves lawyers to draft contracts and such so the business isn’t liable for someone that bought something or endured expenses traveling to look at something that had..less than honest photos. Think about how many times you hear fake ads where someone showed up and got robbed. Who’s responsible now (no need to answer that, just think about it).
It’s a slippery slope folks. 

Joe, we have a monthly magazine...wall to wall sales by owner, dealers, real estate, etc.  I agree with Ross, let FMC decide!

I don't wish to see ads per se, just a classified section for users to post their RV items for sale. It would be moderated just like the forum is moderated.  Bad classified, delete it. I'm talking about a click on section that would take one to a thread, like this is a thread, where items for sale could be listed.  No advertisement from businesses or outsiders, just forum users.

This wouldn't have to be in the forums either, if there is concern about classifieds coming from non-members for nefarious reasons. Just put it inside the Member Dashboard area and call it the Swap Meet page. With it open to FMCA members only, it would serve two purposes: 1) it would be a place for members to post things they no longer need or which they are seeking, and 2) it would be another membership benefit to advertise. Also, with only members having access there would be much less worry about nefarious postings since we know who everyone is.

The problem with the classifieds in the magazine for sale is that a large majority of the listings are brokers wanting to buy coaches.  Very few coaches are for sale, like one in twenty.

1 hour ago, desertdeals69 said:

The problem with the classifieds in the magazine for sale is that a large majority of the listings are brokers wanting to buy coaches.  Very few coaches are for sale, like one in twenty.

Which is quite the opposite from other similar publications, like Wheels Of Time published by ATHS (American Truck Historical Society) which has an active classified section which is largely made up of vehicles and parts for sale by members, not commercial advertisers. They are also a non-profit, so there are clearly ways of making this work.

Maybe charge a small fee for submitting a For Sale. I'd say get a 1% commission but to many would never indicate that they sold. Sorry, it happens.

From the lack of response It would appear that leadership does not monitor this forum. Leaves me asking again why the “FMCA Feedback” forum exists.