White Water

No Power

When unplugged, my 5th wheel has no power. The residential refrigerator works fine thru the inverter. But nothing else works. Not even a DC powered light. Checked breaker and cut off switches for continuity. They are good. Is there another breaker or gfi that controls everything ?

White Water welcome to the Forum.

Need a bit more information. What year and make of 5th wheel do you have. With this information someone with your same year and model may have had the same issue and can help you.

Again, Welcome,

Herman

Not completely familiar with a fifth wheel, but am suspecting that inside lighting is 12 volt DC just like a motorhome. You stated that the residential fridge is working off of the inverter ok, but nothing else. So question is, is there a second house battery in the the RV?

It’s a 17 Montana 3921FB. I have (2) Battle Born lithium 100ah batteries. No generator. I changed out the converter to a lithium compatible converter. 
And yes. There are certain lights and plugs that usually work on DC power.

Edited by White Water

We all have a switch, called a Salesman Switch, if its turned on, you'll have minimum power.  Its an easy switch to turn on accidentally.  I would think even 5'ers would have one.  GFI's are located in Bathrooms, kitchens, but I have seen them outside in bays and inside by the TV.

35 minutes ago, White Water said:

There are certain lights and plugs that usually work on DC power.

Welcome to the forum.

Like Carl said look for the "Salesman Switch" also look on your control panel for a battery off/on switch. For fun check those outher circlets powered by the inverter. 

Bill 

Next question from me is, are those lithium batteries each 12 volt? If so is there a jumper wire between those two to insure charging of both from the converter?

White Water, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Wiring Information for 5th wheel RV's is difficult to find you might find help at Keystone.

This link might get some information that might help.

Rich.

Ask yourself, "what has changed since the interior lights and receptacles last worked?" That is where to focus your attention. I  have not seen a towable with a main disconnect switch for the batteries from the factory, I  have seen them installed aftermarket.

I agree with kaysmith, since the batteres are aftermarket their wiring should be closely inspected as that seems to be what has changed.

You said certain plugs and lights usually worked, that sounds like they were connected to the inverter and powered by same.

In most 12 volt setups, the circuits are usually fuses, not breakers. Most of these circuits are fused with a reverse polarity lockout, this device is a gang of two fuses that will blow in the event that the battery is put into the circuit backwards. Not knowing when the batteries were replaced in conjunction with the converter, it's hard to guess what may have happened and as Ray said when the other items stopped working. If all items that are not working are 12 volt, then one must start working on the 12 volt circuit only to correct the problem. If the items are 120 volt that stopped working and was working through the inverter, then start at the inverter. The inverter should have circuit breakers mounted within (usually push buttons) mounted very near the 120 volt outlets.

Edited by kaypsmith