eric@babin.com

ALLISON 4000 6SP FLUID LIFE

My equipment: 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42qd Cummins 450 / Allison 6sp (I think an Allison 4000)

Miles: 54,000

I was thinking it was time to change my transmission fluid and filter so I checked the manual.... It gave me instructions on how to have the system tell me what % of life for the fluid is remaining..... 

It says 87% remaining. How is that possible? I bought the coach in 2017 with 17,000 miles on it so I'm pretty sure it's the original fluid.

So..... should I have it changed or believe the 87% number?

Also.... thinking of changing differential fluid also.... thoughts?

Lastly.... if you know a good mobile RV Mobile Lube service in the Texas Hill Country, just NE of San Antonio I'd love to hear about it.

I suspect that the size of the filter and the amount of fluid held by a large size transmission is taken into consideration in determining when to change the fluid. Much like an automobile is much smaller and needs to be changed much sooner.

1 hour ago, eric@babin.com said:

It says 87% remaining. How is that possible? I bought the coach in 2017 with 17,000 miles on it so I'm pretty sure it's the original fluid.

You are good to go. From the Allison web site, 

"We recommend you use fluid analysis as the primary method for determining fluid change intervals."

Using my transmission serial number I found a duty cycle of 300,000 -400,000 miles using TS-296 transmission fluid.

https://www.allisontransmission.com/my-allison/customer

I would go enter your serial number as you can find lots of good information.

2 hours ago, eric@babin.com said:

Also.... thinking of changing differential fluid also.... thoughts?

I would run a good full synthetic gear oil like  Valvoline or Mobile 1 in the appropriate weight. I ran royal purple in my last coach.

Bill

1 hour ago, wildebill308 said:

You are good to go. From the Allison web site, 

"We recommend you use fluid analysis as the primary method for determining fluid change intervals."

Using my transmission serial number I found a duty cycle of 300,000 -400,000 miles using TS-296 transmission fluid.

https://www.allisontransmission.com/my-allison/customer

I would go enter your serial number as you can find lots of good information.

I would run a good full synthetic gear oil like  Valvoline or Mobile 1 in the appropriate weight. I ran royal purple in my last coach.

Bill

^^Great info.

Thank you!

eric, IMHO you have a Allison 3000.

Bill is correct on most of the rest. :P

Hill Country, Mobil RV Service by Robert and Richard, I believe Robert just retired, so Richard would be the rep now for our area and Houston!  Sorry. I do not have his phone #!  Only other one I know is Midnight Diesel Express in Kerrville, don't know if they service your area.  Why not let Texas Custom coach do it?

Agree with Carl....if the OP has a 450 Cummins he has an Allison 3000 (450 is the max HP for the 3000).

According to Allison, if the trans oil continues to test good it is good for life.  I have mine tested every year by JG Labs.

If the original fill was TRANSYND it has a long life 

You are likely ok for another few hundred thou 

Eric, you should have an Allison 3000 six speed electric two stage engine brake transmission.  Not sure about the two speed engine brake on your year, but I'll bet it is the same as mine.

According to the manual the fluid change interval is 150,00 miles.  I think you are good to go!

p.s., I have a 2015 but the serial number is a 10T1 which indicates it was manufactured in 2014.  I have some subtle but appreciated differences on the inside.  A 3 burner gas range and analog control panel which I like, I think better than digital.  Push buttons for slide operation instead of digital, etc.

Edited by wayne77590

On 2/3/2021 at 10:03 AM, manholt said:

eric, IMHO you have a Allison 3000.

Bill is correct on most of the rest. :P

Hill Country, Mobil RV Service by Robert and Richard, I believe Robert just retired, so Richard would be the rep now for our area and Houston!  Sorry. I do not have his phone #!  Only other one I know is Midnight Diesel Express in Kerrville, don't know if they service your area.  Why not let Texas Custom coach do it?

Is that this guy?  Great service!  

IMG_3674.jpg