SteveNJan

Locating Camp grounds

I have been researching campgrounds for our excursion in May. from St. Louis up toward Chicago, up to southern Wisconsin, across to Iowa , south through Hannibal and back down to St. Louis.

I have tried Just googling RV campgrounds in each area we are planning to stay over, then tried Good Sams book , Googled KOAs in areas. and so on. each search yields different results. Thinking about tripwizard but not sure it combinds all the groups. Also totally confused on how KOAs work for discounts, how you know which discount club each campground accept. I do check reviews on each. Looking for advise! any and all will be greatly appreciated

Steve,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have a listing of all the Campgrounds that are on FMCA's list. It is listed by state and each state's cities are in alphabetical order. I am sending it to you in a PM. 

Again Welcome,

Herman

We use RV Parky for searching for campgrounds.

I could be wrong but I don’t think KOA campgrounds give any discounts except for their own members which is usually 10%.

My method is to plan the route I want first, then try and find campgrounds along my preferred route. I'll usually bring up the general area on Google Maps, and then in the search box type "campgrounds near here" and see what pops up. Then I cross reference to my usual discounts, etc, etc. On occasion I have changed my route due to lack of suitable campgrounds.

Any particular reason you are routing through Chicago and into Wisconsin? As much as I think Wisconsin is a great place to visit, you're going out of your way if Iowa is your destination.

A couple of suggestions:

In Belvidere IL there is a small airstrip - Poplar Grove Airport. They have an airport museum which is part of Harvest Host. This would make a great stopover point as you head north and is well worth the time if you have any interest in vintage planes. The airport is very welcoming and you can actually walk from hanger to hanger and talk with the vintage plane owners.

In Rockford there is a great Japanese garden - Anderson Gardens - which is well worth a visit as well.

From Rockford you can head west on US 20 all the way to Dubuque and totally avoid the traffic and congestion in Chicagoland. Or, you can continue north on I-39 towards Janesville and on to Madison WI where there are a few campgrounds.

If you're going through Iowa in the summer Davenport has a great street festival in downtown, and just north of there is Le Claire which makes for a great stop over point as well. They allow overnight parking in the lot along the Mississippi and you can go visit the Antique Archeology store while you're there.

Steve, it would be nice to know what brand of RV you have and length?  Do you have a problem with dry camping (no hook ups)?

Please excuse us, we all or most of us are used to dealing with just coaches.  Now we also have 5'ers and TT's that may not have a generator!  

Try using campgroundreveiws.com .  Click on the state then the town you will be traveling trhough and if they have campgrounds someone has most likely stayed there and given a review. It will list all the amenities and then some.