niners843

Big Slide Won’t Come in

My wife and I live at Happy Trails RV Resort, in Surprise, Arizona during the winter and travel during the summers. I have had the big slideout on my 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD, out for about three months, since we sleep in our motorhome at night.  I need to get the slideout in, so I can take the rig into the shop, but the big slide will only come in about an inch.The HWH leveling system works fine to level the coach. The batteries are at 13.3 volts and the fluid level in the hydraulic pump reservoir is normal. The voltage level does not fluctuate when the slide stops coming in.  I’ve had a RV technician looks at it, but he is stumped.  He is certain that it’s not a pump or battery issue.  So, and ideas?

niners843,

Welcome to the Forum.

There was a topic with your same issue back a bit. Go to the Search Box and Type in Slide and there are several posting on  Winnebago slides there.

Hope this helps and again, Welcome.

Herman

niners843, Welcome to the forum. First thing I would do is check all around the edges of the slide to make shure nothing is blocking it. Have you tried to run it back out and in to see if it will free up?

Bill

Sounds to me like your batteries are toast. How old are they?

I know you said that your batteries are at 13.3 but that sounds like a  reading with your converter charging them. Disconnect your converter and then do a load teat after a few hours have passed. 

My old WB 2007 Tour 40KD used the Chassis batteries.  It was recommended, that the ignition was on & engine running while bringing in slides, both the Driver side (HWH) and the elect. slides!   Your 05' operator manual will have the info....in the event you don't have one, download it from WB.  

Ian may be on to something.  Also, are there any issues with the other slide outs?

The converter was on when the batteries were tested, so I will try ian’s suggestion.  Hey, at this point, anything is worth a try.  I have verified that nothing is blocking the slide from coming in.. 

I turned the converter off over night.  The reading on the house batteries is now 12.0 volts and dropped to 11.9 under load.  After one try, the slide wouldn’t move, so I pushed the battery boost and it came in about an inch and stopped, but wouldn’t go back out without the battery boost.  

So, I am off to buy three new house batteries and we will go from there.

2 hours ago, niners843 said:

The reading on the house batteries is now 12.0 volts and dropped to 11.9 under load.  

The battery's are dead. 12.7 is fully charged. Have you tried starting your RV to put in the slides? Make shure you set it to fast idle as soon as oil preshure comes up.

2 hours ago, niners843 said:

I turned the converter off over night.

Why?

Let us know what you find.

Bill

I have tried bringing it in with the engine running, but not with the idle increased markedly. I did connect jumper cables between the engine batteries and the house batteries, but it still did not come in more than an inch. Is it possible that whatever that slides moves on, to come in, is worn out?

I just checked the house batteries and the are at 12.2, but with the converter on, it looks like those batteries are charging.  I totally confused, because the slideout acts like it is dragging on something that won’t let it come in.  I don’t believe there are rollers under there, unless they are something that stays in place, in other words, part of the chassis and bot part of the slideout.  Does anyone know the answer to that question.

replacing the batteries, since they are 3 1/2 years old is an option, but that stay may not solve the problem.  But, at least I’ll have new batteries.

8 hours ago, niners843 said:

I don’t believe there are rollers under there, unless they are something that stays in place, in other words, part of the chassis and bot part of the slideout.  Does anyone know the answer to that question.

Yes, there is either rollers, or ball bearings, and yes they could be worn out or out of track. I'm with others, I think there is an electrical problem, but not being able to hear what the mechanism sounds like limits our ability to diagnose. Is there a creaking or moaning sound when moving, or just smooth and stop? It could be as easy as a limit switch malfunctioning, but I would make sure the batteries are up to snuff, 12.2 volts is almost DEAD.

I'm with Kay & Ian. Is your slide HWH or Power Gear?  Check batteries first, then open bay door under slide and while you operate slide have someone look at motor and shaft.  The shaft is square not round....when mine on last coach, did what yours is doing, it was a two part problem. The gear inn motor is plastic and some prongs was broke off, also two rollers was stuck and sliding not allowing slide to roll over.

I had a rocker switch and by turning it on/off/on/off/on, I moved the slide in 1" increments until closed, then drove to shop!

Might want to check the voltage at the motor itself to make sure there isn't a bad connection someplace between the batteries and the motor.  Check the voltage while the motor is running.

I had a problem with my  hydraulic slide on my last fiver that ended up being a loose connection at a solenoid that dropped the voltage to where the motor would not run under load. 

Lenp

On 2/11/2021 at 11:43 PM, niners843 said:

I have tried bringing it in with the engine running, but not with the idle increased markedly. I did connect jumper cables between the engine batteries and the house batteries, but it still did not come in more than an inch. Is it possible that whatever that slides moves on, to come in, is worn out?

I just checked the house batteries and the are at 12.2, but with the converter on, it looks like those batteries are charging.  I totally confused, because the slideout acts like it is dragging on something that won’t let it come in.  I don’t believe there are rollers under there, unless they are something that stays in place, in other words, part of the chassis and bot part of the slideout.  Does anyone know the answer to that question.

replacing the batteries, since they are 3 1/2 years old is an option, but that stay may not solve the problem.  But, at least I’ll have new batteries.

You will note 12.2VDC is only 60% charged. I agree with others, have your batteries load tested and replace if they fail.

Edited by rayin

2 hours ago, rayin said:

You will note 12.2VDC is only 60% charged. I agree with others, have your batteries load tested and replace if they fail.

Or at least borrow a good 12 volt fully charged and wire direct to the slide motor completely bypassing the house and or chassis batteries. There could possibly be a ground issue between the house system and the slide mechanism, the temporary battery test will also test the ground issue as well. A single bad cell in a battery system will pull away from the other cells within a system especially under heavy load.