shmily18

Tire Covers

I have a 35' Newmar Class A and am shopping for the BEST tire covers, I've owned the vinyl type that attach with velcro in the back but found them to be a pain to connect the Velcro especially in acclimate weather or surface conditions, ie; mud, dirt or rain. Looking at the Snap Ring  type and have only found one company so far that had a nice product which is Covercraft with lot's of good reviews. Problem being they are 4 weeks before manufacture plus shipping time of at least another week. They advised me to go to Amazon but have found the size I need (Extra-Large 36"-39") are out of stock. Covercraft told me they're having a hard time getting materials. Anyone know of any other viable options or even reviews on these, maybe I just need to wait. Thank you!

The easiest ones to use that I've seen are just rectangular fabric with a reinforcing band across the top. They connect to the side of the coach with four snaps on the outside of the wheel opening and after install are even with the side of the coach and not against the tires.

If I was to use tire covers these would be what I'd use for a couple of reasons. They don't require you to put your arms inside the wheel openings at all, and they provide an air space between the sun shield and the tire, meaning that any heat from the sun on the fabric won't transfer to the tires. When I've seen them used in campgrounds they seem to store easily as well.

The best tire covers that I have used, I made myself out of coroplast, that's the stuff that political signs ore made of, looks like like cardboard but is plastic. I cut mine square on three sides, then a radius at top to fit just inside the wheel wells. It comes in many sizes and colors, cut with scissors or utility knife. I made two hooks out of heavy gauge wire to place over each tire. I just lay them in a bay when not in use and they take up very little room. I used black to keep the ultraviolet rays off the sun. Anyone can make out of cardboard to see how easy they are to make.

This what we have. They attach with twist clips which I like better than snaps. I had them made by Mana Shade with a large open hem at the bottom. Filled with sand 3/4” PVC pipe and capped both ends. Takes about 5 minutes to put on or put away  

FED32FAB-5156-4401-A030-F78BC1FB4109.thumb.jpeg.ba07711728fd2a7788b54652cf431c85.jpeg

3 hours ago, rossboyer said:

This what we have. They attach with twist clips which I like better than snaps. I had them made by Mana Shade with a large open hem at the bottom. Filled with sand 3/4” PVC pipe and capped both ends. Takes about 5 minutes to put on or put away  

FED32FAB-5156-4401-A030-F78BC1FB4109.thumb.jpeg.ba07711728fd2a7788b54652cf431c85.jpeg

This is the kind I've seen used by a few people and they certainly look to be the easiest to put on and to put away. I especially like that there is no need to put your arm into the wheel well.

I have the traditional wheel covers in white, I bought them because they were the least expensive I could find. If i do not put them over the wheels before dumping the air springs they are very difficult to install..

On 2/13/2021 at 6:14 PM, richard5933 said:

This is the kind I've seen used by a few people and they certainly look to be the easiest to put on and to put away. I especially like that there is no need to put your arm into the wheel well.

I like!  May pirate the idea.  Easy storage while traveling, too.  I assume the twist clips are mounted with screws?  

Actually, I mounted the twist clips with pop rivets. If I would have used screws, I could have cracked the fiberglass. If clip fails, it is easy to drill out and replace. 

I've seen similar fabric for sale online. Shouldn't be that difficult to make a set of these if you're handy on the sewing machine.

22 minutes ago, rossboyer said:

Yes, but it may take a heavy duty sewing machine. The open hem in the bottom will have 6 layers of fabric on the edges. 

Guess it all depends on the sewing machine. At one time I bought & sold vintage sewing machines, restoring them along the way. There are lots of these old machines out there (Singer 15, for example) which could handle the task easily if the operator took his/her time. I sewed the folding top for our horse buggy with one of those when we were still driving a pair of horses for fun.

On a newer plastic machine? Probably not, especially a low-cost entry-level machine picked up at a box store. Those have trouble putting a hem on a pair of blue jeans.

My point wasn't as much to say that this is a project that everyone would want to do on their own as much as to say that it's not a complicated project and could easily be done by someone who wanted, provided like you said they had an appropriate machine.

LOL  so by the time you find a proper sewing machine, learn how to use it by the material. You will have spent 5 times what it would have cost you to buy some wheel covers.:P

Bill

32 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

LOL  so by the time you find a proper sewing machine, learn how to use it by the material. You will have spent 5 times what it would have cost you to buy some wheel covers.:P

Bill

Not sure that this is really outside possible for many people. I met a couple camping in a very nice Oliver TT last fall. They made a full set of covers for the trailer and accessories from Sunbrella fabric. She did the entire thing on her little 3/4 size vintage Singer she carries with her for doing her quilt work. From my conversations with her, it was clear that she's not the only one traveling with a sewing machine who could easily handle making a set of wheel covers.

If someone doesn't sew, doesn't have a sewing machine, or doesn't want to do this themselves, then obviously they won't. Doesn't mean it's not a very practical project for someone else.

I live in central Georgia and don't use wheel covers, run Michelin XRV tires, never had cracks or damage caused by UV. I get rid of them when they get any  road damage or 5-7 years religiously. I know some of you are from Texas and other sunny places,  I don't see a need to cover wheels when out on the road? My tires are not exposed to sun except when away from the pad at home. I am solo now so I am a weekender now and  don't spend as much time on the road as years past. I guess what I am saying, the need for tire covers depends on where  and how you garage your unit, and how much time you spend on the road.

Wife and I disassembled one of our old wheel cover and used it for a pattern to cut four new ones and sewed them up on her sewing machine and they are nicer than the original ones.   The trick is to get the right needle for the type of work and go slow in heavy material to keep needle cool.  Go fast and the needle will heat up and break thread.   Three thickness are all that is necessary to sew through.

If one does not have a sewing machine they can carry one of their old covers to a upholstery shop and have them sewed.

Since 1967, I have never had any, but if that's what you want, then go for a solid material in black!  My tires gets changed out every 6 years on avg, been a couple of times at 5.

2 hours ago, charlieiam said:

I prefer them to keep tires clean while parked on some sites during rain.  Prevents splashing dirt on tires.

Oh well, wash the tires, or the covers, which is easier? Not trying to be ugly, just wondering.

I bought a set of these on sale and am very happy with them! they fit over the top of the tire, have some elastic to hold them - they are going NO where! I have them on a 33" tire/Wheel on my Class A. I went with White. They are thick vinyl with backing that slides...

https://www.campingworld.com/overdrive-rv-tire-covers-pair-630115.html#q=wheel covers&start=8&sz=15&cgid=covers%2Ftire-covers

IDK how long they will last, but first year and doing great!

Carl, they have a 33-36" size listed on their web site.

Not sure if there is an RV with that size, but possible.