sharon1948rs

water heater

hello everyone well i had to change out  my relife valve  in the water tank to day. im wondering  i put 2 gals of vinger in it to clean it out  a little bertter. but i forget do i turn on the heat to it or just let it sit for a couple days.when im done doing this do i empty the tank again. i guess i should empty it dont think the wife will like it when she washs the dishes. thanks

Yes, empty and flush several times. Take out the bottom plug and flush out as much of the calcium flakes in the bottom as you can. Flush the water out again. 

Do not turn on the heat until flushed. Will do the rest of your plumbing a favor to run a pint of the waterheater mixture through each faucet and shower head before draining the remainder through the drain plug. Then of course as Ross suggested.

It's no different than using diluted vinegar to clean your coffee maker, Add vinegar and water @ 50/50 ratio to fill tank, turn in heat long enough to warm the mixture then drain and flush.

Edited by rayin

6 hours ago, manholt said:

You can use Vinegar or Bleach or Hydrogen Peroxide, then follow Kay!

While vinegar will clean lime/calcium deposits, I don’t think bleach or hydrogen peroxide will clean out those deposits. But they will sanitize the water system. 

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

While vinegar will clean lime/calcium deposits, I don’t think bleach or hydrogen peroxide will clean out those deposits. But they will sanitize the water system. 

Correct!

I only posted it for, under normal circumstances....we don't use our well water direct, we have a water softener system in coach & at house!  No build up and we drain everything and use HP 4X a year.  

On 2/16/2021 at 7:41 PM, manholt said:

I only posted it for, under normal circumstances....we don't use our well water direct, we have a water softener system in coach & at house!  No build up and we drain everything and use HP 4X a year.  

How much does it cost to fill your fresh water system with H2O2?? The fresh water tank is not being sanitized unless the entire interior is exposed to a minimum of .5% H2O2 solution.https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/disinfection-methods/chemical.html

Ray, you follow your Gov.  I'll follow my 54+ years of keeping things sanitary in my RV water system!  Just saying!  We are talking about a water heather, not my 145 gal., fresh water tank...its been full one time for Tampa Super RV show!

I know Kay can get 10% HP and I use 3%.  My best friend also gets 10%.

Edited by manholt

As a curtsy to the new members or those searching for answers, please don’t use acronyms or abbreviations, such as:HP or even H2O. Take the time to spell our your message. 

On 2/17/2021 at 5:08 AM, hermanmullins said:

Hydrogen Peroxide 4 times a year.

Herman

I wasn't going to admit it, but if it wasn't for Herman I would have never known what HP 4X was!!🤡

2 hours ago, rossboyer said:

As a curtsy to the new members or those searching for answers, please don’t use acronyms or abbreviations, such as:HP or even H2O. Take the time to spell our your message. 

I think this would be a exultant time for you to help forum management to create a forum library of terms and procedures like "how to sanitize my water system". That would be super handy for new members.

Bill

We don’t need a dictionary to go to to look up terms that members use. Just use the full words. I wish that there was a spelling checker to use before posting.  The popup window does help. I can remember numbers, but don’t expect me to spell correctly. 

Edited by rossboyer

9 hours ago, manholt said:

Ray, you follow your Gov.  I'll follow my 54+ years of keeping things sanitary in my RV water system!  Just saying!  We are talking about a water heather, not my 145 gal., fresh water tank...its been full one time for Tampa Super RV show!

I know Kay can get 10% HP and I use 3%.  My best friend also gets 10%.

Carl 35% is available if that helps.

Ross, you don't need to spell correctly for us to read. Here, try this:

1N73LL1G3NCE 15 7H3 4B1L176 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3.

See, easy!

Wayne....LMAO 😂Thank you!  He may not be able too. :P

Ross, December 17,  2019, Herman asked us, on behalf of new members, to list the acronyms and their meaning!  You'll find it under General Discussion. Even Brett W. got in on it.

Everybody knows, I'm not PC...I'm also not a post turtle, your acting like one.  We are not allowed to get Political on this Forum and you sound like one!

Per your suggestion I went and looked at the acronym list in General Discussion and didn’t find HP 4X; so, my thought that we need to spell out terms is still valid. And so what is PC? Or post Turtle? And what does any of this have to do with being political? 

Maybe a change in attitude would stimulate other opinions vs stifling posters. 

Ross, he know not what he speaketh! 😀

He even has me confused!🤡

I had to look it up:

"An old Rancher is talking about politics with a young man from the city. He compares a politician to a "post turtle." The young man doesn't understand and asks him what a post turtle is.

The old man says, "When you're driving down a country road and you see a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle. You know he didn't get up there by himself. He doesn't belong there; you wonder who put him there; he can't get anything done while he's up there; and you just want to help the poor, dumb thing down.""

Edited by wayne77590
Definition of post turtle

Give ma break you old timers quit the sparing it’s like pickin the s... out of the pepper.  Hi all I 

‘ m back for a bit

Edited by rsbilledwards