elkhartjim

Not switching from Genset to Shore Power

I've been losing shore power on and off today. I start my genset and use until the power is restored. The last time it would not switch back to 50 amp shore power. Everything works as it should on genset power but when I turned the genset off, it goes to inverter rather than shore. The inverter seems to be working fine. Could it be the transfer switch? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. 

Yes it could be the transfer switch, but verify that shore power is actually restored, both at the pedestal, and at the entrance to the coach. CG pedestal breaker could be tripped, or bad or the cordset from pedestal to coach may have developed a problem.

I solved this problem but now have a different one. I unplugged from my portable Progressive EMS and plugged direct to the pedestal and all works well. Thanks, guys.

Jim,

I would be leery of disconnecting your surge protector. You may have a problem with your shore power and your EMS is dong its job of disconnecting power to prevent damage to coach electronics. Verify that incoming power is correct before plugging into power source, to eliminate problem at power source. Hope this helps.

34 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

I solved this problem but now have a different one. I unplugged from my portable Progressive EMS and plugged direct to the pedestal and all works well. Thanks, guys.

Yes I would be carful with the heavy load on the power grid you might just have low voltage. Does your Progressive show the line voltage when pugged in?

Bill

I unplugged from my portable Progressive EMS and plugged direct to the pedestal and all works well. No error code on the Progressive EMS. I had a similar problem about 6 months ago. I had a bad blade on the male shore connector or so I thought. It would work fine if plugged into the pedestal but not if plugged into the Progessive. I changed the male plug and its worked until now. When I unplugged the cord from the Progressive, I noticed one of the blades was bent so I'm wondering if the Progressive has a bad female plug. 120VAC on L 1 & 2 verified with EMS and VOM. 

•  

Jim, that's a good possibility....don't know if that was our issue, but we have one we carry in coach and one at the house...the one in coach, we had problems with and borrowed one from a coach next door, every thing worked.  We was at Super RV Show in Tampa, so we got a new one and problem solved.

If your power has been coming on & off you may have had a power surge, in which case the unit may have given its all to protect your coach. The EMS should show E10 if that occurred though, so not having seen any error codes is somewhat confusing.

Not sure about the bent plugs, but I'd be hesitant to run without an EMS, especially if you are still experiencing or expect to experience more outages.

As my post read, "no error codes".  Yes it has a lifetime warranty but I need the original receipt and thats going to be fun finding the receipt. I can't remember where I bought it. 

Reading this, I realize I need and EMS.  Any opinions about best value for a portable without spending half an RV unit? 

(I'm adapting "RV unit" from my extensive boatyarding experience.  A boat unit is $1,000.  Not so painful to think of repairs as "two boat units" instead of  "another $2,000 overboard."  I'm slowly bringing Mother Superior up to snuff, and she's been at Empire Truck Sales (and service) more than she's been in the storage lot.)

2 hours ago, urbanhermit said:

Reading this, I realize I need and EMS.  Any opinions about best value for a portable without spending half an RV unit? 

I like the Surge Guard 50A Model 34850. I prefer the portable units as I can go check the power in a site without maneuvering the coach in to it first. 

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

I've got the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X. It's more than made up for it's high cost multiple times already, including low voltage situations and one campsite where the breaker was failing. We also got the portable as protects our shore cord as well as the coach.