EH2653

Trip Planning

Good afternoon, 

I would like to introduce myself as a newbie RV'er, Although I have had this RV for quite sometime, its a Prevost, 45 Featherlight with a toy hauler. I am now retired and instead of making short trips would like to plan a trip out west starting from Palm Coast,  FL. Like I mentioned earlier, I am just at 70 feet long with the stacker trailer and just under the 13' in height. My concerns are places and resorts that can accommodate this size and type of RV. As you well know the turning radius of this type and size vehicle is of concern as well as tree branches etc....   Has anybody traveled from the east to the west and stayed in places that they would like to share with me that can accommodate this type of vehicle? 

I am at 12' 11" and have traveled all over the west and only one time did I have low clearance problem and that was in northern CA at a KOA campground.  The lot they assigned me had a tree with a low limb.   I always look before I leap.   Their maintenance crew cut it down so I could park.

Although I am shorter than you, I see no problem with 70 feet in most anywhere you would want to park.

The east coast is more of a concern especially the northeast and some secondary roads in the south..   WATCH OUT FOR LOW CLEARANCES.

Welcome to the FMCA discussion forums!!! I have a few suggestions; first buy the latest copy of the Truckers Road Atlas it contains a wealth of useful information, buy a GPS unit specifically designed for RVers it has settings to input your length, height and overall weight when properly set it will not route you onto roads unsuitable for your MH.

Keep a link on your laptop or tablet to big rig rv parks, no one website contains a complete listing of the lower 48 states.

Previous MH was 13'4", and present one is 12' 11" and 43' towing a Lincoln MKX, and we have been to the West Coast several times. I have been on roads that were definitely not designed for motor homes, but we made it. Albeit slowly sometimes.  Back in those days we did use the Interstate and there will be no problem in using them. Just watch for those yellow height signs that give the height of overpasses.

Check "campgroundreviews.com" for other camper's reviews and warning about access. It has been a good source for us. Do your homework. Example would be Traveler's Word RV Park in San Antonio. You need to follow the RV Park directions as that RV park has roads leading to it that have heights of 13'4" and railroad crossing that will cause you to be a SEESAW if you try to cross.

The campgroundreviews.com will list if the campground is "big rig" friendly, but when I call to make a reservation the first thing I ask is, "Can you handle a 43' motorhome towing a car?" You are about 8 feet longer than I am, towing. If they say no, I call the next place, and yes there have been times when they say no.  Many of the Federal and State parks were developed when campers were 20 feet long so in both private and Government campgrounds always call and ask and check the web sites.

EH2653.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

My King Aire is 47' 4" long, + 4' for hitch, + toad, a Jeep Gladiator...that puts me at your length +/-.  My height is 13' 4"!  We where in Tampa for the EV Show and stayed at Southern Leisure RV Resort in Chiefland, Fl., KOA in Milton, Fl., Cajun Palms in Henderson, La., Other than the first, this is all on I-10, Anahuac, TX Rest Area (its allowed to stay overnight)!

Wish you happy trails & tales!