andyshane

Drooping Headliner

After helping a neophyte couple locate a good candidate for first purchase, about the thirtieth motorhome we looked at was nearly perfect. Honestly, it smells nearly showroom new, is spotless. Vents were continuously cleaned, fan shrouds and screens sparkled, the basements were kept clean and dry, there is no evidence of leakage, all glass is good and furniture is perfect. Even the bed linens still possess a showroom scent. The mechanicals look fine and it has new tires. The exterior tells me it was garaged. 

But, about mid-cabin, the headliner is about 1/2" lower at centerline than at the sides. No other sign of water ingress: no residue in or around light fixtures or HVAC vents. The roof has no soft spots, no apprent low areas. I scanned the roof from atop another rig in rain; it seems to have perfect crown and sheds water.

Any ideas? 

Andy, Kind of sounds like the adhesive has failed. 

You might find a shop that reattaches the material in the area. We have one shop in the area that does good work, but it's a long hall from you location and still a lot colder then Texas this far north.

Is the material fabric or Vi nail? How old is the Coach?

Rich.

Edited by dickandlois

I suspect water damage, that was makeshift fixed by original or last owner.  Mid cabin, how close is that to a AC unit or fan?  Also, Sky light.  We have had a lot of storms in the past 3 years, like Hurricanes!  If the coach was fixed by insurance, their would be a record under the VIN#.

I just went thru this with my current coach, in rear bath, previous owner lived in Harris County, TX. and coach got water damage thru rear AC, per Progressive they cut a check to owner (bad idea), owner took coach to IN., and traded for a new one!  We got it fixed at NIRVC, along with a lot of other items....we are here now, in coach and leaving today!!! 

Water damage or manufacturing fault with the glue application.  Another thought:  Since the coach is so sparkly clean, could it have suffered from long-tern interior humidity, molded up, caused the headliner to sag, and then been aggressively  and professionally cleaned, polished, and sanitized? 

There are moisture meters that use a couple of prongs poked into a surface to measure conductivity between them and leak detectors that detect thermal variations.  If leakage is a concern, there are leak detection contractors who can determine wet/dry in a few minutes.  

I have been watching several car show and have seen them use steam on newly installed head liners. The steam activates the glue. I do not know if it will activate old glue but it may be worth a try. 

Herman 

Thanks, all. It feels solid, pressing on it. Very slight bend. I think there is a layer separation on the other side of the plywood to which the vinyl is attached. As you wisely pointed out, moisture of some sort is the likely culprit; but, my nose was happier entering this rig than any other pre-2018s I've ever been in. Honestly, it smells garaged and dry, not baked. And, I think my nose is good enough to discern fake-showroom scents from the real deal.

The punchline: it is a 2012.

The lot had rain all night, I'll direct the buyer to have an inspector go and use a moisture meter. No AC unit or other likely ingress point nearby. But, we all know that leaks can travel long distances...   This one is a real mystery. 

What kind of head liner is it, the old fashioned carpet type or the padded vinyl type? If the vinyl type, the foam backing could be coming apart. I would not think that moisture would be the problem if it is in the middle of the roof

In the newer, high end coaches, they are putting the Traveler dish antenna, in the center of the roof....mine included.  Also my AC unit is right in front of it.

Followup We'll never know the cause. They went in to Kennedale Campers south of Ft Worth to buy the rig and the wheels came off at closing. Apparently, the dealer doesn't handle the notion of independent financing very well. Briefly, the sellers planned to come back with cash, but the dealer's refusal to hold the unit and their change in demeanor  scared the couple away.

It should be noted that this seemingly pristine Tiffin remains unsold.

Stay safe, y'all. No blowouts, no wreckers, and keep clear of that 4th Covid wave. Who ever dreamed we'd be white-haired and facing the risks of being teens again? 🤤

Bill, he's not buying!  A friend of his is looking for a used coach!  The way I read it, his friend had outside financing and dealer was not pleased because the dealer wanted to finance it....I call that "Kick back!"

Edited by manholt