urbanhermit

Slides and jacks suddenly dead

1999 Itasca Sunflyer 34:  between visits to the coach slides and jacks became inoperative, as though they aren't there.  Ground switch on the parking brake pedal works   No continuity from the end of it's ground wire to known ground.  A 20-amp push breaker labeled for slides and fog lights was tripped.  When reset the fog lights worked but the slides did not.  Later found the jacks inoperative.  On the jack control panel the On and Brake Off warning lights come on when the On button is pressed  but go out immediately when pressure is released. Besides a fault on that panel would not affect the slides.  Batteries are fully charged, ignition switch in correct position.   Question:  is there a single relay for both slides and jacks?  Could be -- they aren't used simultaneously.  I realize how narrowly focused this issue is -- but has anyone had a parallel problem and found the solution? .  

Edited by urbanhermit

Urbanhermit,  The attached information might help you get the correct info on you coach setup.

image.thumb.png.2a6722aaea5dd2955dd7a7cd9357e67a.png

Let the group know what chassis you have  and if it is built on a Ford, Chevrolet or Freightliner chassis and the make of the Jacks and slide controls. 

Rich.

I just found some of the slide out information.

image.thumb.png.edbefeb0fef6cbd1bd5722f4a9252c39.png

image.png

Edited by dickandlois

On 2/26/2021 at 9:09 AM, urbanhermit said:

...No continuity from the end of it's ground wire to known ground....

There’s your answer. That’s the text book definition of an open ground.

The ground signal maybe coming from (going thru) a relay. It also maybe a shared circuit relay. I would be looking for the relay that operates the jacks to see if it is defective.

Just a thought

Ground safety circuits often use multiple relays to make sure all conditions are met before allowing the circuit to complete. Make sure that there is no problems with any thing before supplying a ground source to over ride a system. If the over ride works momentarily, then start backtracking the circuit to find the failure point.

I must have been reading too many safety threads recently. On first glance I thought this thread was about a coach that slide off the jacks and killed someone. Glad to find out it's 'just' an issue with the electrical system.

In my experience, the vast majority of electrical problems wind up being related to ground connections. They have an amazing way of looking great but being electrically horrible.

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions.  It turned out to be a loose nut on a wire terminal on a solenoid.  Whew!  

Enabled me to sell the coach two days later, 12 hours after I posted it on craigslist.  Bittersweet -- I liked the interior layout and atmosphere better than the bigger, newer, Monaco Cayman we still have and will keep.  

BTW, the problem was with a Itasca Sunflyer 34 with the Ford F53 chassis.