odomr1947

Pressure test to check for water leaks

In May of 2016 Gary Bunzer did a YouTube on a device to test for water leaks in the RV using air. The heart of the system was a check valve test plug from Thetford. Did anyone make one and could share a parts list for making the device? It looked like the attached image.

Thanks in advance,

Roy Odom 

air check.jpg

Edited by odomr1947
Trying to include "notify me of replies"

Looks like mostly parts you can find at a good hardware store, except for the blue fitting. The blue one is available from etrailer.com, but they want $83.13 for it. It looks like RVTI has a similar one for only $15.

The pressure gauge is a standard gauge which would be used on a compressor tank, and you can find it along with the other brass parts at a good Ace Hardware. If not here is a gauge on Amazon. The Schraeder fill valve on the end you might not find locally, but here's a link on Amazon for one.

Good news though, if you just want to buy the whole thing it looks like RVTI sells it for only $20. You'll have to add your own ball valve if you want one though, but that would be easy.

https://www.rvti.org/products/water-test-kit

Here's the link to the video for anyone needing it:

Edited by richard5933

I use the KISS method, I let the water pump shut off and do not use any water for a few hours, If the pump does not cycle there are no leaks. While waiting I was sitting in a lounge chair outside near the open pump compartment with a few cold beverages and the latest issue of the FMCA magazine.

Edited by rayin

1 hour ago, rayin said:

I use the KISS method, I let the water pump shut off and do not use any water for a few hours, If the pump does not cycle there are no leaks. While waiting I was sitting in a lounge chair outside near the open pump compartment with a few cold beverages and the latest issue of the FMCA magazine.

That will check everything forward of the pump, for sure, and it's what I usually do. Someone that runs off city pressure though might want to also test the lines from the city water inlet, and they won't be tested by using the pump.

The price was so good on the test kit I linked to I decided to order one myself. Some assembly required, but only 5 minutes worth. 

16151500873324932408909230251558.jpg

Richard I looked closer at your picture and I already have everything to assemble one. That's a good project for a rainy day if it ever warms up here so I won't have to heat the garage.

8 hours ago, rayin said:

Richard I looked closer at your picture and I already have everything to assemble one. That's a good project for a rainy day if it ever warms up here so I won't have to heat the garage.

The only piece that's not a typical hardware store item is the bit that gets connected to the city water inlet. It has an extended end on it to release the check valve inside the inlet so that the air can flow. Those can sell for about $15 to nearly $100, depending on where you buy it, so the $20 for the kit seemed pretty reasonable. If you have all the parts then it would be a handy piece for the tool kit.