richard5933

Recent increase in trolls/robotic postings

It seems to me that there has been an increase in the number of way off-topic, cryptic postings on the FMCA Forums. Has something changed with the sign-up process which has made this easier or are we just having a spat of bad luck?

Is there anything that can be done on the back end to help filter these out?

Its a new trend in most industries lately that are on the web. We are watching but they swoop in quickly. If you see any send me and Herman a PM. 

I hope no one clicks on their links, that's how they take over your computer.

Joe, that info need to be posted on Forum, where everyone will see it.

No matter what Herman thinks, this all came on the new computer system!

27 minutes ago, rossboyer said:

I thought only members can post on the forum, but non-members can view. 

If this is true, then are people joining FMCA just so they can post junk on the forum? Doesn't seem logical. I thought that non-members could join the forums, but I don't know for certain.

Signing into the forum is not the same as signing into the membership portal. Different login credentials for both, at least for me. Most of the time I'm not logged into the FMCA membership portal but am still able to log into the FMCA Forums.

Of course if I sign out of the forum I won't be able to post, that's not the question. The question is does someone need to be a paid FMCA member to sign up for the forum.

Edited by richard5933

14 hours ago, rossboyer said:

I thought only members can post on the forum, but non-members can view. 

Ross, In 2019 (I think that was the period) the forum was opened to anyone that wanted on. The thinking was it might get some new members. Looks like that may have bitten us in the posterior.

13 hours ago, richard5933 said:

. The question is does someone need to be a paid FMCA member to sign up for the forum.

Not at this time.

I will be reaching out to the IT Department this morning.

Herman

Herman is correct. The forum was opened up to anyone in the hopes that it would gain FMCA some new members. Maybe it did, probably not.

Herman, I suggest that you talk to the powers on high and have them put a button under the names of those posting so that by pushing it, a new window will open so a member can notify a mod and then they can take a look at the questionable post . Could also put a button there so a member could easily send a PM to that particular poster

6 hours ago, dons2346 said:

Herman is correct. The forum was opened up to anyone in the hopes that it would gain FMCA some new members. Maybe it did, probably not.

Herman, I suggest that you talk to the powers on high and have them put a button under the names of those posting so that by pushing it, a new window will open so a member can notify a mod and then they can take a look at the questionable post . Could also put a button there so a member could easily send a PM to that particular poster

There is already a 'report' button. It's located in the upper-right hand corner of each post. Just hover your mouse cursor over the shadow icon and the words "Report Post" pop up. Maybe it needs to be made more prominent.

I have wondered, who gets the "Report Post?"  Unless its Moderator or IT, it does no good!

We also got some non-RV owners, when we offered Verizon!  How so?  There is no verification of coach ownership by FMCA,  its on the honor system!

If you want to be dishonest, throw a F# out there & pick an Avatar & your on Forum!  To my knowledge, there is no cross check.

I've clicked the 'report post' button a bunch of times lately about these troll posts, so hopefully it's going somewhere. Always assumed that the reports go to the moderator(s) of the forum.

1 hour ago, manholt said:

If you want to be dishonest, throw a F# out there & pick an Avatar & your on Forum! 

If an FMCA membership is not needed to join the Forum, then why would they even need to fake a membership number?

I don't know what the problem is exactly which has led to the recent increase in problem posting, but there is certainly a problem.

6 hours ago, richard5933 said:

There is already a 'report' button. It's located in the upper-right hand corner of each post. Just hover your mouse cursor over the shadow icon and the words "Report Post" pop up. Maybe it needs to be made more prominent.

Ok, just found it. I think it should be a little more visible and not stuck out in right field.

Reported posts should go to the Mods and not IT. They are to busy to fool with the forum. That is why they were in favor of paying Wolfe $600 a month to monitor the forum. So far I don't see any problems with the current setup

I have been in contact with the IT department and they will be working on the issue in the next day or two. Right now they are moving into Perry and will be on it when they are settled.

They know the problem and will work on resolving the issue.

Herman

I fully agree with the EB decision!  IMHO that should have been done in 2009...I have seen very little benefit in having it open!

I think that is a wise choice since they aren't willing to use more moderators. iRV2 has at least a dozen admins and mod's, all volunteers, but the big thing they use is a report button on every post. With that button, every member becomes a jr moderator and by reporting posts the mods can then react quickly to delete and ban the poster.  I know there is a report button on this forum but I've reported numerous posts and it is either never or several hours before its taken down. It sad to think a forum of this size is administered by 2 people and one of those has a full time job. You need at least 8 with 2 in each time zone. 

With all that being said, I'll miss some of the posters since I chose sometime ago to not renew my membership. Honestly - there are none of the benefits I see beneficial other than the Medi Evac and like lots of insurance, I choose to self insure. 

Good luck guys and gals, see ya down the road.  

Edited by elkhartjim