Sign in to follow this  
Dave L

2020 FMCA towing guide question

I have been searching for a TOAD my wife likes. I see in the 2020 FMCA towing guide the Kia Optima EX Premium listed as being able to be flat towed with a DCT transmission. We are in the middle of making a deal on one when I checked with e-trailer to get base plates a red flag came up. They don't see the 2020 Optima EX as being flat towable. Is anyone successfully towing a 2020 Optima??? getting conflicting information. I am going to look for an online owners manual to see what I can find. Any Information about the basis for FMCAs reference to the 2020 Optima EXs being flat towable would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!625276488_FMCAguide.thumb.jpeg.800a145817495e05f09e02c9d37cb84c.jpeg

Check out this website, I bet they can answer your question. https://www.jenkinskiaofocala.com/flat-tow-car-near-wildwood-fl.htm

I understand the the DCT (dual clutch transmission) has done away with the torque converter, which makes sense that it may well be the answer to flat towing an automatic transmission, I hope so.

After more research, the 2020 Kia Optima EX with 1.6 L engine is the only 2020 Optima with a DCT transmission. See this webpage. https://www.autoguide.com/new-cars/2020/kia/optima/ex/dct/#:~:text=The 1.6L engine is,2.4L turbo-charged engine.

Edited by kaypsmith

See if you can find a copy of the owner's manual.  Next to calling Kia, it's the best source for information and RV towing capabilities.  It should  have a section with instructions on how to tow it if it can be towed.

I’ve spoken to numerous sources to include Kia service Departments, Kia technical assistance, Roadmaster and Blue Ox. The 2020 Optima Ex with  DCT transmission is now flat towable...that’s the good news. Bad news approval came through a 5/19 Kia Technical Service Bulletin. 2020 was the last model year for the Optima so know one is making baseplates for the vehicle. I even checked into custom fabrication, due to liability issues they aren’t willing to build them as “one offs”

would be a great vehicle...but not going to happen.

Edited by Dave L

Unfortunately she only liked the Optima Premium. We just purchased a low mileage 2016 FWD SRX.

she’s happy with it so that’s what counts!

2 hours ago, Dave L said:

We just purchased a low mileage 2016 FWD SRX.

she’s happy with it so that’s what counts!

Sounds like a great choice, wish you good luck and years of happiness.