symens

Where is spark arrestor on Onan 10000 QD HDKCA Spec E generator

The owners manual for my ONAN 10HDKCA spec E generator shows an access door on the side of the generator opposite the access door for the filters and oil dipstick.  That access door is not there.  In the manual, it is shown as the place for the spark arrestor.  Can someone tell me where the spark arrestor access is located by supplying a picture or a great description of the location?

Welcome to the forum. If you add your coach to your signature it will help you get better answers.

I found this article and will be looking into it my self. as my new coach has that generator. I may be adding a acess door in the future.

https://familyrvingmag.com/2017/02/01/servicing-an-onan-diesel-generator/

Bill

Thanks,  wildebill308, that article is better than the operation manual.   I think I will wait until the 800 hours service interval to have the spark arrestor to be serviced as this unit does not put out a battleship smoke screen like the older Onan genrators each time it is started.  There are many things in the 800 hour service list that require that entire cover to be removed.  I have to think that an ONAN/Cummins MBA lobbied for the removal of the missing access door and bullied the engineering guys into removing it.

This is not a troll, but sounds generic. The spark arrester on most engines, generators, lawn mowers, and other such equipment is a piece of screen wire in the exhaust pipe. It is there to thwart sparks from leaving the exhaust system and starting a fire. The spark arrestor can become clogged and cause the motor to run poorly or not at all if completely clogged.

The Cummins Onan generator is equipped with a spark arrestor so that the unit can be operated legally at U.S. Forest Service sites. The spark arrestor is a filter screen on the muffler that traps burning embers or soot that could cause a spark and start a grass fire if allowed to exit the exhaust ports. While this is more of a necessity on a portable gasoline-powered generator, it’s not as pertinent to a large diesel generator. But the Cummins Onan QD has a spark arrestor, so it is a point of service.

Look at the exhaust end of the muffler on your unit.

4 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Look at the exhaust end of the muffler on your unit.

That is the whole problem. I could see it/acess it on my 7500QD but on my 10,000QD you have to take the shroud off to get to it. Doesn't matter if it is gas or diesel you must have a spark arrestor so that the unit can be operated legally at U.S. Forest Service sites and I think in National Parks.

Bill

The internet is a great tool if you use it.  

The first Forest Service Law for Spark Arrestor came about in 1905 for Steam engines & Boilermakers!  Each state has its own mandate, but most follow the Federal guidelines!

Anything you want to know about Onan, call Cummins! :)

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill, is that blue or red?  One is permanent.

No you are thinking Loctite, this does the opposite. It makes shure that you can take it apart later. Works good for hi heat applications. 

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-anti-seize/permatex-anti-seize-lubricant-2/

Bill