dannyrosado

Need Help w/ Dimensions WIN- 12X20B3RT Inverter

Hello everyone. Kinda new to the forum. I have a 2005 Winnebago Vectra with the above mentioned inverter. Last night I noticed that my lights were dim while plugged in to shore power.  Checked my battery voltage and noticed they were down to about 7.5 V. Seems inverter stopped charging at some point. Checked all breakers.  Dimensions display in coach was flashing with no buttons working.  Inverter usually has a hum and creates a little heat, but it was silent and cold. Cycled the inverter breaker on the AC panel in bedroom, and then realized that the 120 outlets powered by the inverter were still working.

After about 20 minutes of troubleshooting and scratching my head I noticed it he panel had stopped flashing. Set it back to charge mode and noticed the battery voltage was slowly creeping up, made it to 8.6. Went to a friends for the night thinking they would charge.  Came back today and batteries were at 7.5V, panel still reading charger on. Cycled shore power and and tried to reset. Panel is flashing again with no buttons working, and has been for about an hour. It flashes faster when I press the reset button, but then back to flashing. 

Any thoughts?  Is the inverter dead?  Eric Babin was helping troubleshoot early today but still no luck.  Previous owner from last April told me it has died once and had Dimensions rebuild it about 2 years ago. 

Also, can I purchase an external charger to charge the house batteries til I can solve the issue?  No heat obviously cause thermostat is battery operated.

Thanks in advance. 

Danny Rosado

Edited by dannyrosado
Title connection

1 hour ago, dannyrosado said:

Also, can I purchase an external charger to charge the house batteries til I can solve the issue?  No heat obviously cause thermostat is battery operated.

Yes you can use a external charger. I would get one with a fairly robust capacity.

Bill

The battery charger function is a separate part of the inverter. The charger module may have gone bad and require repair. The specs state the charger has a maximum 100A capacity. Your maximum charging rate ideally should be 30% of total lead-acid battery capacity for battery longevity. 

Hopefully this utube video on charger repair will be helpful. Dimension WIN-12X20B Inverter Repair - YouTube

Edited by rayin

Your batteries are 7.5 and won't go over 8.6 is that per 6V battery or 12 ?  Either way, I would say one or more battery is bad.