lawtonr

I-75 Northbound

Question

I have heard that northbound travel on I-75 leaving Florida on or near April 1 is horrendous.  Traffic may take an hour to go 5 miles.  Can anyone verify this and for what specific dates?  My schedule is flexible, so I can leave earlier or later based on amount of traffic - and of course weather as we head north.  Driving a 34' gas class A with towing an Explorer.  Thanks.

7 answers to this question

It varies . . . Depends on if there is an accident or not. Some days you go through fine and other days you can't Like any other highway in the US. Pick a day and a time and just go . . . Otherwise take one of the routes other than 75.

Hello!  We have been to NC this past year several times.  Traffic is the same as in any other major highway.  Just plan not to cross Atlanta or any other major city,  during high traffic hours, such as before 10 am and after 4 pm.  

Safe travels!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

On 3/8/2021 at 1:23 PM, lawtonr said:

I have heard that northbound travel on I-75 leaving Florida on or near April 1 is horrendous.  Traffic may take an hour to go 5 miles.  Can anyone verify this and for what specific dates?  My schedule is flexible, so I can leave earlier or later based on amount of traffic - and of course weather as we head north.  Driving a 34' gas class A with towing an Explorer.  Thanks.

Like the others have said sometimes it is what it is. Your major advantage  is when you are stopped in traffic you can still just drop it in park and go back and use the bathroom and grab a cold drink when headed back up front. Think about the outher people stuck in their cars. :D

Bill

April 1 I 75 N is very busy. My strategy is to stay out of the way of the maniacs in cars who want to drive 80 MPH in the heavy traffic. That means I stay in the right lane until I reach I 10 where traffic thins out some. As Wildbill said, if there is a traffic stopping crash I pull off into a rest area or truck stop and wait until traffic is moving again.

Where in Florida are you leaving to go north on 75? There are many alternative routes from where you are to Lake City Florida, which is at the intersection of !-10 and I-75, most of these routes are not highly traveled, but mostly in pretty good repair.

9 hours ago, manholt said:

We prefer Hwy 41 or 301.  In April the Snow Birds are heading home! :wacko:

If I knew where he is coming from, you can pick up Florida 100 at Flagler Beach or Palatka this will take him all the way to Lake City, or US 27 at Ocala or even further below, a very scenic drive to Williston then 29 to White springs, just below the Georgia line, either route completely bypasses Gainesville, which is where most congestion begins at this time of the year.

Edited by kaypsmith