39Tudor

Flat towing a 1991 Chev 4x4

Hi Everyone:  Does anyone flat tow a 1991 Chex 1/2 ton 4x4 with manual transfer case.  Can’t find any literature in the owners manual or the Dingy Guide.  Thanks - Terry Jefferson

If Is bone stock, just put the transfer case in neutral, make sure the front hubs are unlocked. it would really help if we new if the truck was listed and has big tires. It does make a difference on how it handles while being towed. BTW what kind of transfer case do you have. Some of the older ones had an oil pump in them, if that is the case it can not be flat towed.

Hi:  Thanks for the info.  I have not been able to crawl under and read the tag yet but it will be either a NP203, NP205, NP208 or NP241C.  Do any of these have the oil pump in them?

I had the truck taken down to the dealer and they crawled under to try and see the tag number but it was too rusty apparently, all they could make out was a New Process. (NP) identification and they guessed it was a 241C.  Does anyone know if the NP transfer cases can be flat towed for sure.  This truck only has 39,000 documented Kms on it and I would like buy it to tow behind my motorhome.

The 241c has an internal oil pump. I cannot locate the power flow diagram to see if when it’s in neutral is the pump active.

Edited by jleamont