eric@babin.com

FIREPLACE INSERT E3 ERROR CODE

"It's always something" 

2014 Itasca Ellipse 4QD

Fireplace:: ClassicFlame 25EF031 GRP  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K75P80A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Purchased on Amazon to replace the original insert. This is the nearest I could find to the original. 

I started getting an E3 code which means overheat protection has engaged.  "Unplug for 30 minutes, plug back in, and test, if it continues, contact customer service".

Yes, it continued, so I submitted a trouble ticket to Twin-Star Customer Service: https://www.tsicustomerservice.com/

They got back to me via the trouble ticket pretty quick.  They sent a new blower assembly for shipping cost only ($27.50).  Not bad since it was out of warranty.

Replaced the part.... it did the same thing.... E3 error code.... well, upon closer inspection, I noticed there was a burnt wire connected to what I believe to be a relay. (see pictures).  The burnt wire was the hot wire (black) coming in from the plug.

Just submitted another trouble ticket.... I guess I need a new circuit board for the insert.  

I'll update when I can.

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

Thankfully no fire. Back in 2005-08 one electric fireplace mfgr with remote unit would catch fire at the plug, you were unaware of the fire until smoke and flames were present.

Update:

They replied to my new trouble ticket.

They are sending a new circuit board at no cost. Even with no shipping this time!

I'll update when I get it and replace.

1 hour ago, wildebill308 said:

Ok hearer is my wild a** guess. Low voltage will produce lots of heat

Bill

I agree, your EWAG is right, although .the electric fireplaces in our last 5er were recalled because they caught fire in the base remote module (inline) that is near the plug due to lack of insulation and inadequate wire size. I do not remember the brand, that was in 2008.

Edited by rayin

Bill, think your right.  I know nothing about these built in faux fire place's!  Guess I need to learn, my DW want's one...I told her to buy a cube, wrong answer! :(

13 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill, think your right.  I know nothing about these built in faux fire place's!  Guess I need to learn, my DW want's one...I told her to buy a cube, wrong answer! :(

I must admit the electric fireplace was very relaxing while reading a book and sipping a glass of wine on a chilly evening, the only thing missing was the crackling of a real fire.. The one in the master bedroom was in DW's words "quite romantic".

Today's models are vastly improved over 2005 models. I think they are only about 4" deep and have blower motors to move heat.

Update: FIXED! 

Yes.... I am worried about why the wire burned.... I made sure to test it before putting all the panels back on so I could inspect it when with it on.

Replaced the main board and it works perfect.

This set of  pictures show a better shot of the damaged board and wire.

Also pic of new board, new board box showing part number, bad wire fix, and the back panel of the fireplace showing model number.

I did have to cut a couple inches off the damaged wire which meant I had to add a couple inches back with a new wire so it would reach the circuit board.

I have to say Twin Star had great customer service.  They actually called me to tell me they don't have a replacement for the wire but could send a new circuit board. I agreed explaining fixing a wire is easy....  Although the warranty was up, they sent a new blower assembly (first trouble ticket explained in earlier post) and circuit board  (this trouble ticket) with only charging me shipping on the blower motor.

Total cost of repair: $27.50.

Total time: 2 hours.  

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Edited by eric@babin.com

6 hours ago, manholt said:

Eric, on picture #3, the copper wire is sticking out from the blue shield...you'll have a short again!

I actually added the extension (about 3" because this was the wire I had to cut the damage off of) to that and taped it up.  Should be good.

Nice eye though!

Edited by eric@babin.com