HagerHawk

Dometic A/C not cooling

My front A/C only unit is not cooling, I can here the compressor kicking in but that is all. I assume it just needs freon but there are not any charge ports. Is the only option to replace or is it not feasible to repair these units? (Dometic Duo Therm Penguin) Another issue is the R22 is phasing out so it might be more costly to replace than a new unit as well has anyone else been thru this?

Rig is '92 model, I am not sure if this is an original unit on top or not. Rear was installed in 2005.

TIA,

Tony

Yes they can be repaired and ports added to add freon. However as you noted it all cost money. With a unit that age I would be leaning toward a new unit.

Bill

I contacted the previous owner and they said it was replaced at some point before they bought it, I found an invoice where they added freon to the front unit back in 2004 so that means it was replaced after that period. 

Would that change your mind in regards to Replace vs Repair?

Just curious

Ove Corse it is ease to spend your money. However with the age of the unit I would feel bad if I spent $$$ to fix a unit to have it leak back down and still need replacing. If you were handy and could put a tap on it so you could add Freon and see if it would take a charge and not leak back down right a way you could delay replacing it. If you have to pay someone to do all the work I would just replace it.:D

Bill

Before you buy new have some one test capacitor as it can cause no run and slow run 

or spend $5 dollar and replace then try 

8 hours ago, bm02tj said:

Before you buy new have some one test capacitor as it can cause no run and slow run 

or spend $5 dollar and replace then try 

2 hours ago, manholt said:

I would spend the $5....A closed system should not leak and if it does, replace it.

Unit runs just doesn't cool, As previously stated, i can hear the compressor kick in and cycle