C-925790

Inner dually valve stem to large for TPMS sensor

4 hours ago, rayin said:

I think I understand after viewing your pictures. You  have a flow-thru valve cap on a standard valve stem.  It will unscrew to expose the standard size threads and standard valve core.. Think of it as a really short valve extension. Remove that flow-through stem cap and you should be able to screw on a standard metal valve cap or a pressure sensor. Matter of fact I have those on my sensors on inner duals too now that I know what we're discussing.

That explains why your standard air gauge fits, only the threads are larger as it is not designed to accept a metal valve cap because it is designed to be both a short extension and valve cap combined. (it has its own rod inside to depress the original valve core in the stem). Kay is right, the large rubber grommet is there to stabilize the long original valve stem.

Eureka, that is exactly what it was!  Thanks Rayin and everyone for your assistance.  You have, at a minimum, saved me from an embarrassing trip to the tire store. 

On 3/24/2021 at 8:01 AM, manholt said:

As they say, "A picture is worth 10,000 words!"  :D

Opps, I forgot about inflation. It used to be  "1,000 words".

On 3/21/2021 at 10:50 PM, wayne77590 said:

Valve stems can be 0.453 inches in diameter or 0.625 inches in diameter. Typically the 0.453 is the norm for our HP engines but as you get up to the much higher commercial HP vehicles it is the 0.625 size.

If you have the larger size I would think it was a mistake or someone didn't have the normal size and stuck in the larger size.

Tireman - check in please.

Nope, the hole in the wheel might be 0.453 or 0.625" but there are 2 different rubber gaskets involved. Unless someone installed a bolt in valve stem from a Farm Tractor application ALL tire valves for highway tires from the 10" tires on a 1965 Mini to a current 45' Class A would have the same   0.305-32 thread.

Flow through caps also spec .305-32 thread. While I would not run TPM sensor on a flow thru cap as that is just another joint that could cause problems the TPM sensor should still fit on that cap.

The next size up as used on tractor tires is 0.482-26 thread

Edited by tireman9
add info on flow thru