tmc48

Will Dometic Do the Right thing?

On May 9, 2017 I purchased a new 2016/2017 Dynamax Isata3 Recreational Vehicle (Model #: ISC24FWM) a Division of Forest River.  Factory installed appliances on the coach included a Dometic Heat Pump/AC (Model # B59196.XX1J0, Serial # 63021567).  Dometic provided a two year warranty for this appliance.

In May 2018 I called Dometic because the Heat Pump/AC was not cooling.  An authorized Dometic service center verified that the unit was not cooling and Dometic sent them a replacement unit (Model # B59516.XX1J0, Serial # 81025306).  It was installed on June 28, 2018, and I purchased an extended warranty from Dometic which is in effect from June 28, 2020 till June 28, 2023. However, the replacement unit unknown to me and the Service Center was a cool only unit.  I discovered this on January 20, 2021 when I called Dometic. The Service Center noted that the model number’s last three digits are off by two digits:  196 vs. 516.

Why didn’t I discover the replacement unit was not a heat pump?  I’m a warm weather RVer.  I rarely use the RV in the winter?  Furthermore, the coach has a Suburban gas furnace which I used whenever I needed heat.  Heat pumps do not produce sufficient heat below 40 degrees in my opinion. But they are efficient above that temperature.  And the sales brochure describing the amenities of the coach noted that the AC system was a Heat Pump-not a cool only unit.  This is an important fact for resale.  

I find it disingenuous that Dometic tells me that the repair servicing center should have found the mistake and tells Service Center that the customer should have found the error.  Dometic insists that the correct unit was shipped when in fact it was not. They refused to acknowledge the obvious error on their part.  I think Dometic should recognize their mistake and provide a replacement unit equal to the one that was originally installed.  Even the Service Center is willing to authorize a free installation for the correct unit.  It’s a matter of integrity and responsibility that has thus far eluded Dometic.

I would say he is looking for help 

The tech should have noticed as they needed a place to hook the O/B  change over wire to unless they have same terminal board for both  

21 hours ago, manholt said:

tmc48. Welcome to the Forum!

Is your Post the reason why you joined?

Joined?  FMCA member since 2017.  One can read the forum posts without submitting comments.

You can also be a  member of Forum and not a member of FMCA!  

All I saw was your Forum join date...Sorry about the misunderstanding. :(

I agree with Joe L.

Carl "Manholt" Christensen

On 3/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, jleamont said:

I would call the installer. It’s their responsibility to install the correct part. 

Well, here's what the Authorized Service Center Manager said: 

When we are diagnosing a potentially faulty Dometic AC unit under warranty we have to fill out document 1 (AC Performance checklist).  That ID's the specific ac unit by Model #, serial number and various data and measurements pertaining to the failure.  If they decide that the AC unit has failed they just send a new one evidenced by Document 2, the Return Goods Authorization sheet.  We don't order it, the Performance Check List automatically triggers a RTA (Return Goods Authorization)..  The new unit usually ships out within several days.  
Note model numbers on both documents, B59196.  That model is for the heat pump.  That number on our sheet and their RGA match exactly.
They sent a B59516.  The wrong unit.

He also said: 
I asked our techs if the shroud and profile on the cool only unit and the heat pump are the same or different, i.e. should we have recognized we were installing a cool only unit
rather than a heat pump.  If it was a Dometic Penguin, the ports in the shroud are slightly different, if it's a Brisk Air (as yours is) the shrouds are identical.
The tech installs what was in the box with your name on it.  If it's an obvious difference we should stop what we are doing and investigate, but in this case everything looked OK - and the Model
Numbers on the paperwork match up.  
So - Dometic thought they were sending a B59196, but whoever "picked" the Part picked and sent a B59516.

Bottom Line: Dometic sent the wrong unit and does not want to acknowledge that fact!

On 3/22/2021 at 7:52 PM, bm02tj said:

I would say he is looking for help 

The tech should have noticed as they needed a place to hook the O/B  change over wire to unless they have same terminal board for both  

True.  And support.

See reply to Jleamont above.

Assuming you have retained copies of all correspondence, receipts, work orders and your Dometic extended warranty. Were I in this position I would write/email Dometic informing them you have been quite patient but now they are leaving you no recourse other than small claims court.

I disagree. Don't mention "small claims court."  If that is the only recourse you have, then just do it and let the judge take care of it...it cost $400 to file and no atty needed.