Had a chance to pick up a 1994 Airstream Excella 25 in really great condition, and we thought it might be good for times we don't need the coach. Also thought that it would be great to use in the colder weather when we want to pop south for a trip, as it's much easier to winterize/dewinterize than our coach is. Going in a few weeks to pick it up from North Carolina.

Of course, this travel trailer required a tow vehicle, as the Subaru just wasn't up to the task. As it happens, I found a great 1999 Suburban 2500 with only 48,000 miles only an hour from where the trailer is. The plan is to pick up the truck and then go get the trailer. After new tires and bearing re-pack drive both back to Wisconsin.

Now I've got a rig that will fit into the barn where I can work on it during the winter months. The Airstream doesn't need much outside, but the decor and the electrical systems could be use a refresh. That's where I'll focus for now.

thumb-1000x1000-51dc7599bd5777dd22b377bd54b9ef0e.jpg

1999 Suburban 2500.jpg

Got to love an Airstream! I had a 98 Surburban 2500 LT with the 454, 4x4, Great SUV, I loved it! Wasn’t bad on gas like most would think. 19 highway from Florida to PA with the cruise set at 85, that truck was a beast.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Got to love an Airstream! I had a 98 Surburban 2500 LT with the 454, 4x4, Great SUV, I loved it! Wasn’t bad on gas like most would think. 19 highway from Florida to PA with the cruise set at 85, that truck was a beast.

Sounds like the same truck I found. This one was a Red Cross vehicle up till recently, and it looks to have been used as some type of executive transport and well cared for down south. Same 454, so I'm excited to have found it. The only other good option I found was a Ford Excursion, but I was never thrilled with the way Ford's handled on the highway - too much wondering about for me. Plus, they are much heavier and longer and wouldn't be an easy fit for my garage.

All in all, I'm excited and am looking forward to bringing it all back from NC in three weeks. Going to be an adventure, for sure. Unknown truck, unknown trailer, and a long road-trip alone.

Of all the travel trailers made, Airstream holds its value best. A buddy bought one new in 1979, he took it to the factory sometime in the 90's and had the exterior polished and other updates. He was offered more than it cost new about 10 years ago.

Airstreams are in demand, especially the retro with modern day conveniences!  I had the 1978 Suburban 4x4, with 454.  Great driving machine!  Had a Buzzard come thru the front windshield and died in back seat....Insurance totaled it.  Stench was unreal.  I've had 3 Ford Expeditions, wife has a 2014 (she loves it), they do not hold the road well, including hers! 

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Airstreams are in demand, especially the retro with modern day conveniences!  I had the 1978 Suburban 4x4, with 454.  Great driving machine!  Had a Buzzard come thru the front windshield and died in back seat....Insurance totaled it.  Stench was unreal.  I've had 3 Ford Expeditions, wife has a 2014 (she loves it), they do not hold the road well, including hers! 

I drove an Excursion before deciding on the Suburban. Loved everything about it except the way it handled. I was exhausted after a 20 minute test drive. The Suburban is a tad lighter and shorter and should do quite well being a 3/4-ton chassis.

We plan to keep the Airstream looking the same outside, but will update the upholstery and flooring to something more modern. The biggest change I'll make is installing a hybrid inverter, lithium batteries, and solar on the roof. Aiming to have maximum self-sufficiency for dry camping.

Update... 

Finally got to North Carolina to pick up the Airstream and Suburban after buying both sight unseen. Good news - they're both largely as described and functional. I know, there are ways to better check things out, but I did enough to feel comfortable with the deals. 

I will spend a day or two getting the mechanical systems on the trailer checked out, new tires, bearings packed, etc. Suburban seems pretty good, but I will get the tires balanced and the brakes inspected. 

The plan is to do some interior updating and then enjoy. 

20210419_172917.jpg

7 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

The fact you made it home is a big +.

Bill

Haven't made it further than the hotel in town yet...I'll be in NC for a couple of days getting things squared away before heading home. Then it's going to be a few days of casual driving to get home.

Once the new tires are in place I have a TMPS system to install on both the truck and trailer - on smaller tires like these are they usually installed before or after balancing the tires?

50 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Looks well cared for especially being 27 years old.  

Herman

I think so too. Some new upholstery, new flooring, and some more modern wallpaper and it will look like a whole new rig. 

I have a question. The contractor working on our cape house just purchased an older MH

that was well cared for and they are going to do the entire interior. They had mentioned

putting in some ceramic tile floors. I don't recall ever seeing a MH with that type of flooring. 

Thoughts?

David

46 minutes ago, dbenoit said:

I have a question. The contractor working on our cape house just purchased an older MH

that was well cared for and they are going to do the entire interior. They had mentioned

putting in some ceramic tile floors. I don't recall ever seeing a MH with that type of flooring. 

Thoughts?

David

Lots of class A motor homes have tile nowadays. I'm probably going with a glue down cork flooring, since on a trailer keeping weight down is important. 

1 hour ago, dbenoit said:

They had mentioned

putting in some ceramic tile floors.

We have Ceramic tile throughout most of our interior.

Don't have the heated ones but do have ceramic tiles.  Don't need the heated ones as we ware house shoes when inside.

p.s., basement is heated so we get a little relief from that heat.

Edited by wayne77590

11 hours ago, richard5933 said:

I'm probably going with a glue down cork flooring, since on a trailer keeping weight down is important. 

I would look at some of the wood/vinal flooring that Earnie puts down.

Bill