Sign in to follow this  
kavid2552@yahoo.com

Satellite system

We are brand new at this, and are trying to hook up our satellite from the house to our 2004 dutchstar, with a winegard automatic rv digital satellite system, model AS-2003, we have it hooked up as far as the wiring, but that seems to be all we can do. We changed the satellite to 101 on the roof, per the instructions. we go through the locate mode and it will find a very strong signal, but it says wrong satellite and will not show any picture. Can anyone help? I probably haven't explained it very well, but don't know enough to ask questions...

Let me ask a few questions that might help others answer your question.

When you say you are trying to hook up your satellite from the house, I assume you are talking about the receiver unit (the box between the dish and the TV). Is this correct? What model and satellite provider is this box? The more details you can give, the better the responses you will get here.

When you refer to instructions, I would have to assume you are using the Winegard instructions. Have you tried to contact Winegard for technical support? Have you tried to contact the provider of the receiver, you satellite TV provider, for technical support?

I'm not familiar with the Wingard system so can't really help you with anything specific to do to correct your situation. For our Direct TV system, a specific receiver box is required to make the system work with the KWH dish. You may not have a receiver box that is compatible with the Winegard system.

We are brand new at this, and are trying to hook up our satellite from the house to our 2004 dutchstar, with a winegard automatic rv digital satellite system, model AS-2003, we have it hooked up as far as the wiring, but that seems to be all we can do. We changed the satellite to 101 on the roof, per the instructions. we go through the locate mode and it will find a very strong signal, but it says wrong satellite and will not show any picture. Can anyone help? I probably haven't explained it very well, but don't know enough to ask questions...

Ihave set up lots of satellites for motorhomes to type how would not be easy to explain please phone me at 519-428-0169 anytime and can help you get it working

:rolleyes: Unfortunately, the problem you are having with the AS-2003 is not really fixable. In November of 2008, a new satellite was turned on at 77 degrees. The AS-2003 was developed long before this satellite launched, so what is happening is, the AS-2003 sees and locks on to this new satellite at 77 degrees, and there is nothing in the AS-2003 programming referencing this new satellite, and the AS-2003 simply doesn't know what to do next.

If you let the AS-2003 lock on, and it is not the correct satellite, turn the AS-2003 off, and back on, to re-start the search routine, it may continue past and lock on to 101. You may have to cycle it off and on several times, or it may never lock on to the correct satellite.

Hi TVforMyRV,

Based on what was in your post, shouldn't the rest of us have the same problem? Is this problem unique to the AS-2003 or will it affect other brand Sat antennas?

Ok, to expound on my previous post a little bit. There are in fact a few other things which may be wrong with the AS-2003 system which can/will cause search and lock on problems. The circumstances described by the Original Poster, sound very much like the 77 satellite problem..... The 77 satellite problem with the AS-2003 seems to also be somewhat geographic sensitive, due mostly to the elevation angle changes of the different satellites from different parts of the country. I would suggest that the OP contact Winegard Tech support for assistance.

As for other systems and brands, each system has it own way to complete a search and lock on. Some may be better or worse than others. For the most part it becomes a programming issue, and that issue is dependent on how well the software developer deals with the unexpected, and handles "errors". The buzz word is "fault tolerance". In this example, the "error" is finding a satellite signal which seems right, but is really wrong. This was not a "fault" which was anticipated by the developer, and may be "unique" to the AS-2003.

Hi kavid2552,

Can you try a different receiver? This may or may not solve the problem, but it might narrow down the suspect problem component.

Sign in to follow this