brooksr

Toad bike rack vs. moving rack back and forth

When we FT'ed 2004-2008 we had a Swagman rack and bikes mounted behind the MH when we towed, then moved the rack and bikes to the toad when we went biking somewhere.  We sold that rack and Swagman doesn't make that one anymore.

I can probably set up something similar with this Swagman Traveler XC2 rack: https://www.swagman.net/product.htm?pid=828192&cat=40497, but I will need to get buy a new 2" hitch for the toad to replace the perfectly good 1.25" that is on there now.

So I'm thinking maybe I should just tow with the bikes on the back of the toad (covered of course).  It does make things a little longer going down the road, but this MH is 7-8' shorter than the last one.  I'm trying to think about any other downsides to doing this.

Does anyone else tow with bikes on the back of the toad? (ours is a Honda CRV)

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

When we did have bikes, we did have the rack on the back of the towed auto. We did find that we had to bungee cord the ends of the rack to the top of the hatch to keep the side to side bouncing minimized. 

Thanks for the post, Ross.  I can't quite picture that, but I get the idea/reason.  Our hatch has no place to hook things.

Edited by brooksr

All that is needed for the receiver is to get an adapter from 1.5" to 2".  I tow a Jeep Wrangler with 2 bikes on rear hitch and use bungie cords to prevent any movement of the bikes or wheel spinning.   With the bikes I am at 60' which is fine.