Cookiecutter

Canadian Fifth Wheel bought in USA

Hi!  I’m new here but have a big question that I can’t seem to find the answer to.  We are looking at buying a Corsair Excella fifth wheel that was left in the US by Canadians about a year ago, when Covid was just getting started. The people who bought these people’s RV lot  also bought the fifth wheel from them and would like to sell it to us. Does anyone here know what we need to know, to make it legal here in the US?  They have the Bill of Sale in hand. Thanks a lot for replying...we could sure use some knowledgeable answers!  

If the current owners are American citizens they should have a state title in their name.   Some states have digital titles.  But the title must be in the name of the seller.  All that a buyer would need to do is to pay for the RV and have the owners to sign the title before a notary.  I I usually do so before  the DMV, bank agent, notary, etc. ; some official that can legally notarize the title transaction.

Proceed with caution as there are a lot of scams happening with RV transactions.  

If the people currently with the RV bought it from a Canadian owner, hopefully they got a proper title to it and had it transferred to them in the state where they live. If not, I'd require them to do that before paying them a penny.

Not every state requires the seller's signature on a title to be notarized. If your state does require it, make sure that the seller takes care of that before giving you the title.

The elephant in the room is the existence of a loan/lien on the trailer in Canada. If the person who proposes to sell you this trailer does not posses a legal title(bill of sale does not substitute for title in some states) I would not fall into a mess by paying money before I laid eyes on the clean title.

In Canada you can have title and still owe money on it  where I believe in the States you have to surrender the title 

It would not hurt to search the former owners and check for lien in Canada  

Until they switched to electronic processing of titles a few years ago in most US states the owner would get a paper title regardless of whether or not there was a lien on the title. The only thing is that if there was a lien the title was marked to indicate who the lien holder was. Now that they've switched to electronic title processing, (at least in Wisconsin) the buyer doesn't get the paper title if there is a lien, the lien holder does (electronically), and the buyer just gets a paper registration receipt of sorts.

Don't Canadian titles have a place to do the same? Indicate if a lien is on record for the title?

Richard, Texas has two title for the registered owner for a vehicle. There is a Blue title that is issued for a vehicle free of any liens. Then there is a Red copy of the title which list any lien holder/s on the title. When the lien/s are satisficed the Blue title is sent to the vehicle owner. 

When purchasing a vehicle that requires a title from another country my advice would be to contact the title office where you live and follow the steps they require. I would do this before any money has changed hands. This will save a lot of headaches.

Herman 

Ditto!  International titles can be tricky and costly!  Bill of Sale is not a title, you need to get the title!

Where are you located and where (State) is the trailer located?

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Richard, Texas has two title for the registered owner for a vehicle. There is a Blue title that is issued for a vehicle free of any liens. Then there is a Red copy of the title which list any lien holder/s on the title. When the lien/s are satisficed the Blue title is sent to the vehicle owner. 

When purchasing a vehicle that requires a title from another country my advice would be to contact the title office where you live and follow the steps they require. I would do this before any money has changed hands. This will save a lot of headaches.

Herman 

Interesting - really shows how different every state does this. We used to get a paper title regardless, and if there was a lien it was just printed in the lien box. Now they don't even issue a paper title while a lien is on the title - just an electronic one to the lender or lien holder. Wisconsin is working to do all titles electronically, so I suspect that they'll totally move to this system eventually. I like having a paper copy for my own records, so hopefully that will still be an option. I can definitely see them charging extra for one though.

Since Covid all the DMV offices here drastically changed their routine, and while the offices are open for some functions ALL title and licensing happens online or through the mail. I just bought a new tow vehicle and was able to process the entire thing online in a few minutes. Then I mailed the old title to them, and once it's processed they'll mail out the new title and metal plates. I was able to get my receipt and paper temp tags immediately. Apparently this is the system that the dealers in Wisconsin have been using for a while. I liked the convenience of doing this at home, but it was nice to be able to walk out the door with metal permanent plates same day.

Yep!  The good & the not so good.  In Texas you go to the Clerk/Tax office.  DMV is for drivers Lic only!  With Covid, its by appointment and ours (small County), is back logged 4-6 months! 🤬

7 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Don't Canadian titles have a place to do the same? Indicate if a lien is on record for the title?

No If the lien is registered it can be searched 

When I bought a used car I would borrow from the bank and they did search then I would pay off right away as that was the cheapest way to lien search