lunchbkt1

Mixing Tires sizes

My coach is 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder. I have michelin 295-80r- 22.5 on my steering axle. The tag axle is also 295-80R-22.5

I want to change the four tires on my drive axle and continental does not make that size for a drive axle, the size offered is 295-75R-22.5. 

If I proceed and install  Continentals , I will have  80R on the steering axle, and the tag axle, but 75R on the drive axle!

What if any are adverse impacts of doing this. Does it affect anti-lock braking, handling or?

Will it shift weight from the drive axle to the tag? Is it dangerous in any sense?  

I get it that not every company sells the tire size you need, but some do. Why not just stick with the correct tire size from another company? There's a substantial difference is dimension between these two tire sizes and I can't think that having them on your coach is going to make anything better.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 04.44.16.png

Your speedometer will show that you are going faster than you really are with 75 instead of 80 also. Be sure the load rating is correct also. You may want to check 0n 305-75/22.5 for a more comparable circumference, just be sure that there is enough space between the duals to avoid kissing.

13 hours ago, lunchbkt1 said:

I want to change the four tires on my drive axle and continental does not make that size for a drive axle, the size offered is 295-75R-22.5. 

Tell me why you can't run the 295-80R-22.5 on the drive axel?  Who is telling you this?

Bill

The 295/75 has a lighter load range thus a lighter weight rating. 
I went through something similar, here’s the post and I would seek a different brand in the correct size. Ours handled poorly with them on the drive axle also. I didn’t realize it until I swapped them out two years after this post.

Thanks all for your interest and responses.

I would not for a moment consider installing 295-75r- 22.5, if a 295-80r-22.5 was available, but there are none, at least not from Continental, not in Arizona and as far as I have been able to find (which includes a discussion with Continental); not in the US anywhere!! 

Of course there are the correct sizes in Michelins, Good Years, and I suspect some others as well! However I was trying to work with FMCA and their tire program, which limits choice to Michelin or Continental. A quick look at that program and you understand why the interest in Continental, $$! There are several suppliers who in their catalogues show 80r's, but don't have any when you get right down to supply.

Something else that may be of interest in this matter is this. If you are looking at the tire size/type in Continental within FMCA, and you specify you need  tires for the drive axle, you will not see 295-80r-22.5, largest made is 295-75r-22.5, however if you change use to steering or any use, you can see 295-80r-22.5, but there aren't any available!!

It seems most tire suppliers/manufacturers are way behind in production due to COVID 19. Hopefully in a year or so, it will get closer to where it was. in terms of supply, before COVID!

Safe travels & Best regards to all, Lorne!

4 minutes ago, lunchbkt1 said:

Something else that may be of interest in this matter is this. If you are looking at the tire size/type in Continental within FMCA, and you specify you need  tires for the drive axle, you will not see 295-80r-22.5, largest made is 295-75r-22.5, however if you change use to steering or any use, you can see 295-80r-22.5, but there aren't any available!!

OK teach me how you find/specify drive tiers on the FMCA site?

Bill

7 hours ago, lunchbkt1 said:

Thanks all for your interest and responses.

I would not for a moment consider installing 295-75r- 22.5, if a 295-80r-22.5 was available, but there are none, at least not from Continental, not in Arizona and as far as I have been able to find (which includes a discussion with Continental); not in the US anywhere!! 

Of course there are the correct sizes in Michelins, Good Years, and I suspect some others as well! However I was trying to work with FMCA and their tire program, which limits choice to Michelin or Continental. A quick look at that program and you understand why the interest in Continental, $$! There are several suppliers who in their catalogues show 80r's, but don't have any when you get right down to supply....

Sometimes it's necessary to step outside the FMCA program to get the tires you need or to get the best deal on price. The FMCA program is a great tool to have when trying to get a good price on tires, but it's not the only tool out there.

I just did a quick online search for the 295/80R22.5 tires and see multiple options in good quality brands for tires in the $450-$550 price range listed as 'in stock and ready to ship'. This included both a Continental option and a Toyo.

My suggestion is to get busy with an online search. Find the tires you want, call to confirm in-stock status and DOT production date, and then have them shipped to a dealer near you for installation. 

If ordering online isn't what you want to do, I'd suggest working with another dealer - perhaps there is a truck tire dealer near you that is willing to do the research to find you alternatives in the proper size tire at a good price, even outside the FMCA program.

As a side note - when the Hankook stop being listed on the FMCA tire program?

Toyo's, Kelly, BFG, Hankook, all great tires!  I have only dealt with FMCA Tire Program 1 time, then found that I could have gotten them cheaper and fresher at another tire dealer...Micheline's!  Last set I got was from a tire dealer in NJ, I went with 8 BFG's (made by Michelin) and saved over $800 by not getting FMCA involved.  

The FMCA tire program is good, but not the only game in town!  Just depends on the volume of tires, the shop uses, day to day!

21 hours ago, lunchbkt1 said:

.... I was trying to work with FMCA and their tire program, which limits choice to Michelin or Continental. A quick look at that program and you understand why the interest in Continental, $$! There are several suppliers who in their catalogues show 80r's, but don't have any when you get right down to supply...

There are other tires in the FMCA program besides the two mentioned.  Like many, I will not put Michelins on my MH and was looking for Continentals for my six rear tires.  Couldn't find them in 295/80 so I got Toyos in the correct size and still cheaper than the Continentals with the FMCA "discount."

Edited by five

19 minutes ago, five said:

There are other tires in the FMCA program besides the two mentioned.  Like many, I will not put Michelins on my MH and was looking for Continentals for my six rear tires.  Couldn't find them in 295/80 so I got Toyos in the correct size and still cheaper than the Continentals with the FMCA "discount."

If there are more than Michelin and Continental participating, they are not listed on the tire discount page on the member dashboard. Do you know how to access the information?

Richard, Michelin also makes BFG, we used to have Hankook until a couple of months ago, don't know why that stopped.  FMCA does not have TOYO's, wish they did, I could save a bundle on NITTO's...made by TOYO!

14 hours ago, richard5933 said:

If there are more than Michelin and Continental participating, they are not listed on the tire discount page on the member dashboard. Do you know how to access the information?

This is from an FMCA web site search.  Apparently Hankook, according to other members, is no longer available, if so, FMCA needs to change the web site:

1 result(s) were found for your search term.

40 minutes ago, five said:

Apparently Hankook, according to other members, is no longer available, if so, FMCA needs to change the web site:

Apparently you haven't been to the website. Hankook is no longer shown.

Bill

I really don't know what the big deal is here.  My post made at 9:51 AM yesterday was a copy and paste from their website.  Obviously things have changed and Hankooks are no longer available....end of discussion.

Well I think that most of you missed the FLASHING RED LIGHT.  A 295/80R22.5 is rated for 6,395 # at 110 psi   while the 295/75R22.5 is rated for 5,675# at 110 psi.

I have never been a fan of size comparison web sites as they are really intended for passenger and smaller LT tires and completely ignors load or dual spacing issues.

I don't care about the speedometer error etc but I would be VERY concerned about giving up that much load capacity. It also creates a potential problem when selling the coach. How will this "Down-rating" lo load capacity be communicated or even understood by the new owner?

We all know, or should know that a majority of RVs are overloading a tire or axle yet I almost never hear others jump in on such an obvious feature being overlooked.