jbarringer

The best portable air compressor/ tire inflator?

We don’t know what size tires are on your RV, but I would question the total inflation capacity. For our 22.5”  tires on our motor home that are inflated to 107-110 pounds, I use a Porter Cable 150# pancake style air compressor. I like it so well when my 60 gallon shop air compressor failed, I replaced it with another Porter Cable just like the one in my motor home. 

I have a similar jump start/air compressor to the one you listed. It works well to jumpstart an auto, but not a motor home. Will top off golf cart tires and auto tires, again not the motor home. 

Here at the house I have a pancake (Craftsman) 150 psi compressor. It has not problem inflating to 120 psi.  May take a few minutes but works well.  For on the road, if needed, I use the built in onboard air chuck supply output that towing companies have to use to tow the MH. I carry a 50 foot air hose. Start the engine and let it inflate. Takes longer, but works.  I aired up about 1 month ago and checked before travel yesterday to come home and tires were only down 1 to 2 psi. Not anything to worry about.  If you are loosing a lot of air after a period of time you need to start checking the reason why.  I've gone 3 to 5 months in storage with only a 5 psi drop in pressure and that was due to the freeze that came through this area.

Edited by wayne77590

Viair makes a number of compressors with good reviews, some which are rated for 100% duty cycle. If you're only using them to inflate tires you don't really need a compressor with a tank, so the Viair models are much more compact.

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

We don’t know what size tires are on your RV, but I would question the total inflation capacity. For our 22.5”  tires on our motor home that are inflated to 107-110 pounds, I use a Porter Cable 150# pancake style air compressor. I like it so well when my 60 gallon shop air compressor failed, I replaced it with another Porter Cable just like the one in my motor home. 

I have a similar jump start/air compressor to the one you listed. It works well to jumpstart an auto, but not a motor home. Will top off golf cart tires and auto tires, again not the motor home. 

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

Thanks Ross, I have 22.5” tires as well. I’ll do a comparison 

59 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Here at the house I have a pancake (Craftsman) 150 psi compressor. It has not problem inflating to 120 psi.  May take a few minutes but works well.  For on the road, if needed, I use the built in onboard air chuck supply output that towing companies have to use to tow the MH. I carry a 50 foot air hose. Start the engine and let it inflate. Takes longer, but works.  I aired up about 1 month ago and checked before travel yesterday to come home and tires were only down 1 to 2 psi. Not anything to worry about.  If you are loosing a lot of air after a period of time you need to start checking the reason why.  I've gone 3 to 5 months in storage with only a 5 psi drop in pressure and that was due to the freeze that came through this area.

Is the onboard air chuck specific to your coach? 

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

Viair makes a number of compressors with good reviews, some which are rated for 100% duty cycle. If you're only using them to inflate tires you don't really need a compressor with a tank, so the Viair models are much more compact.

Thanks Richard, I saw the Viair. Pretty popular. Gonna do some comparing 

2 hours ago, jbarringer said:

Mostly found on coaches with air suspension like diesel pushers. If you try that make shure the air fittings are compatible. 

I have the VIAIR 450P-RV. I prefer it over having to start the main engine to air up tires. 

Bill

5 hours ago, jbarringer said:

You don't have any information in your signature line indicating what type of RV you have. Any motorhome with air brakes will have a fitting that a tow driver can plug into to release the brakes.  That same fitting will usually take a quick disconnect male/female, depending on the specific configuration.  There are different size quick disconnects so that is what bill was referring to about the correct size.

If you don't have air brakes, it's a moot point!

There are two types of Air Chucks that are used on most hoses used in the auto industry. There is the Industrial which is the more common and there is the Automotive  which is the less common. My Monaco has a Automotive chuck for my air connection in my bay, but I have an Industrial for the air chuck (same on all my air tools).

That being said I have made adaptors for Automotive to Industrial and visa versa.

Hope I made sense.

Herman

There are also some out there which will work with either. Can't remember the name, but any place that sells air tools would likely have them.

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

There are two types of Air Chucks that are used on most hoses used in the auto industry. There is the Industrial which is the more common and there is the Automotive  which is the less common. My Monaco has a Automotive chuck for my air connection in my bay, but I have an Industrial for the air chuck (same on all my air tools).

That being said I have made adaptors for Automotive to Industrial and visa versa.

Are you talking about air chucks? Or quick disconnect fittings for attaching air hoses? Usually an air chuck is what pushes onto to schrader valve to air up a tire.

Air chuck, Impact Wrench, Sander, Blow Gun, the list goes on and they all must connect to an air hose by a quick disconnect either Industrial or Automotive.

Herman

Universal compressed air quick connects: https://www.grainger.com/category/pipe-hose-tube-fittings/hose-products/hose-fittings-couplings/multipurpose-hose-fittings-couplings/multipurpose-quick-connect-air-couplings/universal-interchange-quick-connect-air-couplings

All one needs is the male ends, they fit into industrial and automotive quick connects.

Edited by rayin

I replaced both of the ones on our coach and kept the other side (male fitting) just in case we need a tow. I do recommend putting a rubber or plastic cap over these open fittings. Mud daubers love to get inside.

I have heard good things on the VIAIR products. 

Their website;

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables

Edited by jleamont

Since all of you are behind the Viair portable, Linda just placed an order....it will be delivered tomorrow! 

Since we still expect to go to Canada & Alaska this July-Sep...DW also ordered a 30 amp Autoformer (we should have gotten one for the 60 day trip in 2019) to Canada! 

On 4/6/2021 at 5:11 PM, wayne77590 said:

You don't have any information in your signature line indicating what type of RV you have. Any motorhome with air brakes will have a fitting that a tow driver can plug into to release the brakes.  That same fitting will usually take a quick disconnect male/female, depending on the specific configuration.  There are different size quick disconnects so that is what bill was referring to about the correct size.

If you don't have air brakes, it's a moot point!

Thanks Wayne 

On 4/6/2021 at 1:25 PM, wildebill308 said:

Mostly found on coaches with air suspension like diesel pushers. If you try that make shure the air fittings are compatible. 

I have the VIAIR 450P-RV. I prefer it over having to start the main engine to air up tires. 

Bill

Thanks Bill, I like the reviews and I watched a YouTube video. I’m getting it. 

20 minutes ago, jbarringer said:

Thanks Bill, I like the reviews and I watched a YouTube video. I’m getting it. 

Great let me know what you think when you get it. Darn I don't get a commission on sales.:P

Bill

15 hours ago, manholt said:

Since all of you are behind the Viair portable, Linda just placed an order....it will be delivered tomorrow! 

Since we still expect to go to Canada & Alaska this July-Sep...DW also ordered a 30 amp Autoformer (we should have gotten one for the 60 day trip in 2019) to Canada! 

We encountered several CG's with bad power in NT Canada, Alaska CG's were OK in 2012.

Edited by rayin

Yes!  90%+ of RV Parks in Canada is more suited for TT with 30A cords!  Most folks we talked to, had a Autoformer!

The common practice is to put the Autoformer first then your surge guard to prevent low power. The Autoformer will only improve voltage by about 10% but often that is enough to keep you in power. 

Bill

On 4/7/2021 at 9:39 PM, wildebill308 said:

Great let me know what you think when you get it. Darn I don't get a commission on sales.

Bill

Hey Bill! Traveled cross country, was out for 3 months. After a few days on the road my TPMS showed my inside right rear tire was low. I used the Viair and it worked well. I had to use it throughout my journey because there was a slow leak in that tire. After I got home I took my coach to the place I bought my tires from. They found out the sensor was leaking, not the tire. 😊