smsdavis

Towing ability with Mercedes Sprinter chassis

I cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone, dealer, manufacturer, etc.  

We are downsizing from a Fleetwood Expedition diesel pusher to a 2021 Jayco Melbourne Prestige.  (We were fulltiming, now planning to buy land and settle down but don't want to give up ability to travel completely -- for those who wonder why we would make such a drastic change).  

We traded our Tahoe for a Chevrolet Traverse.  Weight is under 5,000 pounds on the Traverse.  I would like to be able to tow the Traverse.  It can be flat towed with the same mods we had to make to the Tahoe.  

What I cannot find is the information on what the Mercedes Sprinter can tow.  The dealer claims it can tow 7500 pounds.  I suspect the tow hitch is rated for that.  But I doubt the engine itself is rated for that.  

Does anyone tow using that Mercedes Sprinter engine/chassis?  If so, what are you towing?

I expect in any mountains we would disconnect and one of my kids will just follow us.  But I didn't want to drive all the way across the country having someone drive the Traverse.  

I wrote to Jayco the manufacturer and I have gotten no response.  I checked the Mercedes/Sprinter web site and couldn't find any useful information.  

The problem is, it was never meant to be a RV.  Sprint chassis outside of the US is used as a VIP Limo pulling a small cargo trailer with luggage, delivery van, or Limo!  

I would look at the capacity of the rear axle, it will be stamped in Kilos, then you'll have to weigh the rear load and what you have over is your tow capacity...I would guess 3,500 lbs.  

I just Binged this question.  Bing says the towing capacity is "5000 to 7500 lbs, depending on trim and model year.

I was leery of the towing capacity more so from a GCVR aspect and went with a Mini Cooper (approx. 2500 lbs). My Coach House has a low cargo rating based on the weight of the build-out and although I could tow 5k and be right at the GCRV, I didn’t want to add additional strain to the engine. The MB Sprinter 3500 chassis pulls the Mini with ease and other than some speed reduction on inclines over 9 degrees, you can hardly tell it’s back there. 

Few things with a Sprinter to consider. The weight of the house will affect that rating. If the “frame” was extended after the axle. The MB Sprinter doesn’t have a full frame. They advertise it but it’s literally nothing more that boxed in sheet metal, not what you think when you say “full frame”. Short wheel base can get squirly with a large vehicle behind you. Best bet, call the RV manufacturer. They need to be the one rating it.

I drive a Forest River Forester MBS 2401R.  GCWR is 15250 lbs.  GVWR is 11030 lbs.  Subtracting GVWR from GCWR results in a maximum tow capacity of 4220 lbs with a maximum of 350 lbs hitch tongue weight.  These numbers are per spec.

The big assumption is that the Sprinter is not overloaded (OCCC 1178 lbs) - really easy to do!   Any weight above that subtracts from the tow capacity.  Remember that the max hitch rating doesn't mean much in the real world (it only applies to the hitch) - the extended sub frame on the Sprinter motorhome is somewhat limiting, hence the above specs.

Dealer's sales people will tell you what they think you want to hear, or they just don't know. 

I tow a 2 door Wrangler JL with no issues.  It's real close to the limit!  A four door Wrangler is about 500 lbs too heavy. I normally carry 1/4 tank of gas in the Jeep to keep the weight down.

smsdavis, check the specs on your Jayco and do the math!    Safe Travels!

We have had our Renegade Sprinter 25' for about 3 years.  We have not tried to tow.  The motor home has power, but is squirrly to drive down driveways, turning right or left, so we thought better leave enough alone.  We are older also and the hitch process can get old.  any thoughts.  we like to motorhome but a tow vehicle would be great too.

We have had our Renegade Sprinter 25' for about 3 years.  We have not tried to tow.  The motor home has power, but is squirrly to drive down driveways, turning right or left, so we thought better leave enough alone.  We are older also and the hitch process can get old.  any thoughts.  we like to motorhome but a tow vehicle would be great too.

First thing I would do is get a "All Wheel alignment" Talk to the shop and tell them the problems you are having. 

Towing 4 down is the method I would recommend. 

Bill

4500lb max. And that means nothing carted around in the towed vehicle. Seems smarter to find a lightweight tow vehicle so you can offload some of the junk from your 11,030lb limit in the MBSprinter. Many Sprinters are driven overweight because their OCCC is so limited - a tow vehicle can help, but not if it's a 4500lb Jeep.

Good luck!

The best light weight Toad I know of is a 2014 or older Honda CRV.  2015 and newer cannot be towed, they changed the transmission.

Edited by five

22 hours ago, five said:

The best light weight Toad I know of is a 2014 or older Honda CRV.  2015 and older cannot be towed, they changed the transmission.

True I tow a 2014 CR-V.  It is 2015 and Newer that can't be towed 4 down.😉

Bill

9 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

True I tow a 2014 CR-V.  It is 2015 and Newer that can't be towed 4 down.😉

Bill

Correct, I fixed my post.😆

22 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

I wish they would come out with a option package to make one towable. I bet they could sell a bunch of them.

Bill 

I'm sure they would...it is a perfect Toad.  I called and even wrote them a snail mail letter.  

I have a 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Mini Cruiser 60-8-C-4231 on a 2007 Freightliner chassis with 5cyl Mercedes engine. I towed a Ford Explorer with automatic transmission for several years, close to 5000 pounds.  I towed it on a long trip through Western Canada over the Siskiyous and Rockies without any issues at all, other than the expected slow going in the higher mountains.  I also carried tools and bulkier items in the Explorer.  I suspect you'll be fine towing the Traverse.  We've now switched to towing a 2015 Fiat with standard transmission and can hardly tell it's back there!  :-)

20140813_094012.jpg

20200319_113939.jpg