Howdy folks

So I finally got an opportunity to get some camping and away from home. In a prior thread I talked about flat towing a 2019 Kia soul base, manual transmission. I just wanna give a quick update to a couple of questions I had, I finally got some answers and how to make some things work.  

Steering wheel lock - That was solved easy!!! Turn the car off, leave the Key in the ignition. As long as you don't pull it out, it wont lock the steering wheel. THAT WAS EASY

I have electric steering and it didnt wabble or anything, i was affraid i was going to have to leave power to the steering on but that God i didnt have to.

Had some extensive conversation with my buddy Joe, and the first thing I realized is I’m gonna have to lower my receiver on the back of the motorhome because the jeep that I’m used to towing sat 6 inches higher than my current car. From what they say, you can have 3 inches up or down on the tow bar in order to be in the safe zone and I was well out of that. So I had to buy a drop hitch which I see a lot of guys are using. I learned that you have to be careful with inclines when you have that but other than that it went relatively smooth.

I installed a Demco base plate and that turned out to be more hair raising than anything I’ve ever had to deal with before. The first base plate I got one of the years was off maybe about 5° so none of the holes lined up on one side. The second one I got the bottom holes were drilled a wee bit off-center so I had to drill those out in order to mount this base plate.

408B1BBF-483A-4C89-8D1A-0243727AFBC0.jpeg

I bought this car specifically the way I bought it to make sure he did not have any front end damage and to say Demco drop the ball is an understatement however once I got everything bolted up, the bumper cover put back on, the drop receiver Installed, I didn’t even worry about wiring up thAnde light diode’s right away, I’ll get to that sometime next week. I stuck my wireless Mickey Mouse ears on the back and I’ve got to say - remove 2000 pounds worth of weight off the back of your coach makes a difference with the amount of money that goes out of your pocket into the oil production cost of the the United Arab Emirates.  

This little mama toad so nice I forgot she was back there. Overall, I can honestly say I definitely prefer towing this over the jeep liberty and it’s much nicer to the gas tank then towing my jeep Cherokee.  I’m glad I made this choice over the mini Cooper and the Fiat I started to get.

C90B9036-D43F-4117-9610-E1C64B4F2A7A.thumb.jpeg.d104351f8f0b811673a3471fc18c6656.jpegDBB4AC41-A2CE-469A-BF1B-719587667650.jpeg5EC72F53-250A-4B64-A28B-C17B93D33E71.jpeg

B41692DF-6B83-4138-A3D0-899DDCA1A3F5.jpeg97AE4FBC-247C-47D0-A9C8-2B3D31F66919.jpeg

Edited by hayesfamily
Needed to move Pics Around

Good looking car and job. Please remember that the Soul is a lighter car and prone for hydroplaning. Believe me I know for sure. I loved the car and comfort was my favorite steering choice.

10 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Good looking car and job. Please remember that the Soul is a lighter car and prone for hydroplaning. Believe me I know for sure. I loved the car and comfort was my favorite steering choice.

I remember that story :(

15 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

I’m curious what year did you have?

The only issue I’m having with the car is the tires that came with. It was suggested in one of my farm groups to go to like a Cooper PS3 or something like that or whatever the newest generation is. I’m sort of torn on what I want to do, I got Michelin‘s on my jeep and they ride hard but I definitely don’t wanna put goodyears on it

Welcome home Keon,

I put Toyo M144 on the coach 2 years ago and have had no issues at all. I checked them and topped them off at 90psi before going to Cheyenne last may. I checked them last week before going to Hutchinson, Kansas still at 90psi. We have Bridgestone Duckler LT on the truck. Put them on in August of last year. Smooth and quite ride. Just Info.

Herman

Ok.  I’m going to be due for tires on the coach as well so I’m probably gonna buy all of them at the same time. You’ve given me some options to look at thank you.  

glad to see your doing well.  

Coopers are great tires, Toyos are great also. I'm in the camp that Michelins are over rated these days, at least the ones that I have owned.

Ditto on the Michelins....I put Toyo M144s on the rear and Continental HA 3s on the front....tire dealer couldn't get 315 Toyos for the front in a timely manner.

Keon, On my Bounder I put Continentals and was happy with how the did. On this coach I have Toyos and they have been good. 

Five, I am generally opposed to putting different make and model tires on anything. I had a bad experience on a car when I did that. It drove realey squirrely and wanded all over. Finley found a tire guy that explained that the different tread and tire compounds reacted differently to steering input and difference's in road surface. Changed out 2 of the tires so they were all the same and it settled down and drove great again.

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

Keon, Welcome back!

You might want to look at Pirelli tires or Bridgestone for your Soul.  Hankook or Continental for coach!

Good Luck.

Joe, your not going to toad your Mustang, are you?

12 hours ago, manholt said:

Joe, your not going to toad your Mustang, are you?

NO!! I’d need a dolly anyway. 

On 4/28/2021 at 4:53 PM, hermanmullins said:

Yes doing well, thanks. Will you be going to Gillette?

Herman

Cant Make Gillette - I am punching the 9-5 Clock for the first time in a LOOOONNNNGGGGGG time trying to get somethings in order.