obiwan_canoli

Tech recommends Inverter Change ($2,500 job)

That's a lot to solve a GFCI problem...

OK, been having a problem resetting my two GFCI plugs (on Inverter, no shore power); my initial problem occurred while on the Inverter. When the generator is fired up, one of the GFCI's resets, the other does not (my tech has 40 years in the business, BTW)... also having an issue - while on the inverter - with the dome light underneath the microwave - it blinks on and off continuously when on the inverter... tech suggests trying to plug into shore power to see if that solves the problem... but if it does, how do I resolve the MW light blinking on and off?

It was his feeling that changing my MSW Inverter to a PSW would likely solve the problem, and the cost is due to what he refers to as "the right Inverter". This was his reply to my comment about searching Amazon for said inverters, and those I found weren't anywhere close to a price that would justify a total of $2,500... he thought Newmar might have simply gone on the cheap when choosing the current inverter for my coach, but the fact is, it oughta work correctly, yet it doesn't.

I'd appreciate some insight... it's a long ride to a Newmar certified facility...

First, replace the GFCI that trips.  That is the least possible expense and may well solve that half of the problem.  Obviously a difference exists between the two GFCIs.  As far as the other, still hoping for inexpensive solutions, I'm suspicious of the ballast or the tubes in your (fluoresent?  ballasted bulb?) dome light, which may have decided they don't like MSW current due to a "soft fail" condition.  Maybe empty hopes, and I certainly don't have 40 years RV experience, but a new GFCI is pocket change and even changing the ballast in the light won't be much to waste if it's not necessary.  Before spending $2,500, I believe I'd risk less than $100. 

Reread mine after reading kaysmith's below and saw clear evidence of sanother of my senior moments.  Of course MSW current isn't fed to a 12"V fluorescent.  Assume a CSI hadslap has been self-applied. 

Edited by urbanhermit

What year and model is your coach? Most of the lights (unless someone has added it) are 12 volt, if this is true then your inverter has nothing to do with it, unless the house batteries are to weak to run the inverter, and if that is the case house batteries should be load tested and replaced if they are weak. Be sure to look for a bonding issue with the coach AC neutral and ground, if they are bonded this, can cause gfci issues, and blinking 12 V lights. Within the inverter bonding issues can cause gfci issues if the gfci is only tripping when the inverter is producing AC. I have run MSW inverters for years with no problems unless some appliance was added that just cannot run on MSW, ie if the coach came with an MSW inverter and no AC appliance has been added, there should not be a problem. Of course if the inverter has developed a problem within itself then all sorts of other issues may a result. I would try testing the leads that I mentioned above, and if you do not know how, show my responses to a qualified electrician. A simple VOM (multi function meter) is all that is required to test those items.

Edited by kaypsmith

Just installed this inverter as a replacement to my faulty MSW inverter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VZN1PN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_VKSR6PN8J7GBDEPPZVC3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1  $565.03 and 1 hour 15 minutes to install in hidden compartment under the sink.  I had the same inverter prior to the update except it was MSW and the built-in AC passthrough switch stopped working.  I have been using invertors since they came out and I can tell you $2500 is out of bounds from the norm.

I agree with kaypsmith, make sure everything else is working properly, including the house battery bank, before replacing the inverter.

jheiser, welcome to the Forum!

Depends on the coach what the cost of inverters are!  I run twin 2812 Magnum's for 8 house batteries and 2 start batteries with a BIRD to charge both banks when on shore or generator or engine alternator...not cheap!

We know the make is a Newmar, but not the model or year.  So all we are doing is guessing!

Years in the business doesn't guarantee success all the time.  I have been in the RV repair business for 55 years and I was stumped the other day with my charging system and my inverter.  Woke up and my batteries were at 8.5 volts.  The inverter failed and instead of shutting off at 11.6 volts it took the batteries down.  This is when I discovered that the two batteries were tied together by the previous owner.  I had to use my portable generator and charger to charge the chassis batteries so I could start the engine.  I have been working on the problem on the road ever since.  I will be in Indiana this afternoon on my way to Gillette, the long way from Arizona.

51 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

I had to use my portable generator and charger to charge the chassis batteries so I could start the engine.  I have been working on the problem on the road ever since.  I will be in Indiana this afternoon on my way to Gillette, the long way from Arizona.

Yes some times even if you have experience you will find things that people have done that just make you go "WHAT" when you figure out what they did.

Hope you don't need start battery's but I saw my local Freightliner shop had original equipment start battery's for $79.00 each. 

Bill

Ross, I know you are from Indiana and I have the same feeling about Texas. But the only time we were in Indiana my wife spent 10 day in the hospital in Indianapolis. She received excellent care, I don't want to return, too many bad memories.

See you in Gillette.

Herman

Many people do not know that Indianapolis is the orthopedic center for the USA. The doctor that did surgery on AJ Foyt was the same one that did scoliosis surgery on my wife where he removed all the discs from the base of the neck down to L3 and installed screws and rods. Her surgery was 31 years ago. Remained pain free until about 4 years ago. The disc between L3 and L4 collapsed and cause the nerve to be pinched between L5 and pelvis. Now pain is gone, but she has difficulty walking without additional support. Getting old is he…

9 hours ago, rossboyer said:

But Indiana is God’s country. 😊😊😊

Right on! Only God would think so.😆

I have a 2013 thor Tuscany 36MQ

MY REFRIGERATOR IS ALL ELECTRIC IM LEAVING CALIF AND HEADING TO GEORGIA IN A FEW MONTHS..DO I HAVE to run my inverter  to keep frige cold for ice and food if so so do I have  to use  gen or engine

thanks in advance

Use the inverter, that's what it's for...the engine will charge the batteries while running.

FWIW, an unopened  refrigerator should remain cold enough to keep ice from melting and food from warming for about 6 hours while  off. My house refrigerator does whenever I lose utility power for a day, can't see any reason why being mounted in an RV would be different.

Like five said, if your house batteries are in good condition there is no valid reason not to use the inverter.