rfsod48

Buying rv in nonresident state

I might be buying an rv in a state I am not a resident of, do I have to title the rv in my resident state or the nonresident state. The seller is a private party.

Roland

Not knowing which states, I think in you home state; but why not contact the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in both states and ask. You may still have to pay sales tax, but that depends on the states, also. 

3 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

do I have to title the rv in my resident state

In all cases that I have had dealings with, YES. In some cases I have heard of, the buyer was trying to cheat on taxes in their home state, but that is a bad idea. Most states where the RV is purchased does not collect sales tax there, you pay it to your home state, some have rules that will try to make you pay difference of their taxes and your home state, Florida is one of those.

Edited by kaypsmith

I suspect you will need to purchase it during the week, so you can go to the DMV in purchase state to show the title and bill of sale and maybe your auto insurance (call your insurance with the vin #) to get a temp tag in that state.

You will still need to title and register it in your home state and pay state/county taxes on the purchase.

I purchased out of state, but from a dealer, and they got me the temp tag onsite.

Edited by aztec7fan

Thanks for the help. I should have added that we would be leaving the rv in the state of purchase and only using it for 5 months of winter

Roland

I've bought more than a few vehicles from out of state. Never have I had to pay taxes or register in the state where the vehicle was sold, only in the state where I was a resident. I've heard that there are states which require tax to be paid upon purchase, and then you have to file for a refund/credit when registering in your home state, but I've never encountered that.

I just purchased a new truck and Airstream in NC, and I'm a Wisconsin resident. The truck was a dealer purchase, and we handled all the payment and paperwork ahead of time so I was able to register in my home state before going to pick it up. The Airstream was a private party, so after the sale we had their title notarized, went to the DMV for 10-day plates ($15) and then when I got home I registered it and paid taxes.

The fact that you're going to keep the vehicle in the state you purchase it in may or may not matter. Not every state allows non-residents to register a vehicle. Check out the details with a phone call to the DMV in the state where you hope to register it. Also double check to see if your home state would be cheaper.