richard5933

Victron Hybrid Inverter Install

Decided to upgrade the stand-alone 2000-w PSW inverter on my coach to a hybrid 3000-w unit from Victron. The one I'm installing is a brand new model of their Multiplus II which can provide power to both legs of my 50-amp coach regardless of what we are or are not plugged into. It can also add up to 3000 watts of boost from the battery bank in case there is a short-term draw in excess of what we're getting from the pedestal, which should make it possible to run the a/c and microwave at the same time even if only plugged into a 30-amp pedestal, something that was always iffy with our old setup.

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-ii-2x-120v

Not much room in the wire chase, so this has been fun as I try to squeeze two lengths of 6/4 cable in there. Getting it done though, with the major components in place. Now to make all the connections and then on to the programming.

One thing's for certain though, my body does not do as well working in tight space and in the heat as it used to.

20210502_154338.jpg

20210502_154344.jpg

20210501_161741.jpg

Edited by richard5933

Keeping the smoke in is always a good thing

I went with the Victron 3000 about 3 years ago when I had the solar put in.  Same hybrid function - comes in handy

Richard, now that you have upgraded your coach, how are you coming along with your "new to you" trailer?

Also, will we see you back in Gillette, WY?

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Richard, now that you have upgraded your coach, how are you coming along with your "new to you" trailer?

Also, will we see you back in Gillette, WY?

The trailer is an ongoing project. Right now it's in the barn and I'm slowly gathering parts. Once I have everything needed to redo all the roof openings (vents, etc) the first step is to reseal everything, replace the openings, and make it weather tight again. Then I'll start the interior work. Axles have also been ordered, so when they arrive I'll be able to get the drive-line up to speed. I did have the brakes done before leaving NC, but the shop managed to install the new brakes without lock washers, causing the backing plates to come loose during the drive home destroying the brakes. The trailer needs new axles anyway, so I'm just replacing the brakes along with the axles (using the refund the shop gave me on their work.)

Gillette? Unfortunately, not this time. We have a long-delayed trip to New Mexico coming up which will eat up most of our vacation time, and what's left of it will be used for a trip to see family in Virginia later in the summer.

We'll miss you!  

At least you'll have a dry, clean & warm place to work on it next winter!  Will you be buffing out the Aluminum skin?  I noticed most Airstream restoration shops, will clear coat it....same with the Argosy.

As you progress, photos would be nice! 😃

I bet you have watched all the Utube channels with Airstream trailers. I did see they have lots of upgrades dealing with brakes and suspension.

As a side question, why don't they put shocks on trailers?

Bill

3 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

I bet you have watched all the Utube channels with Airstream trailers. I did see they have lots of upgrades dealing with brakes and suspension.

As a side question, why don't they put shocks on trailers?

Bill

Most Airstream trailers have shocks - mine does and most I've seen do as well.

The brakes are going to be pretty standard electric drum brakes. They work well, at least if the studs holding them on stay put.

Ok I stand corrected I just never saw them and never hear of people changing them. 

I went and got down and looked. I think I have struts on acess doors bigger than that.:D

I have seen the upgrade to disk breaks. Looked like a good upgrade.

Bill

16 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Most Airstream trailers have shocks - mine does and most I've seen do as well.

Interesting. They must be one of the few. I have seen shocks on larger high end trailers (over 40'), but not many. 

Joe, if you don't have a problem with tight spaces (Most of the Movie stars of today are under 5' 4"), the Airstream trailer was/is the best !