bigben6969

Basement AC

Yes; sounds like one of the fans is broken. A new plastic model is available. First determine your specific model number, then follow the removal and repair instructions for both gas and diesel MH's written up by Bill  Elsenpeter. Read it through entirely before beginning.

This is the outside fan: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Blower-Wheel-Outside-Air/dp/B00QVYM51G

I also have his links to some repair parts and thermostat. New units for one model are still available.

Edited by rayin

13 hours ago, bigben6969 said:

3years ago back came back last week. 

Biggest problem with plastic fans, they do not last as long as metal fans. Cleaning often is a must.

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

Biggest problem with plastic fans, they do not last as long as metal fans. Cleaning often is a must.

I think the newer ones in Ray's link are better made. Yes I have seen several problems with the plastic fans breaking. It isn't all that hard to replace it but they should last better.

Bill

The problem is that the fan that is breaking is being replaced with the same part that failed in the first place. If it was defective in the beginning, replacing it with the same defective part won't improve anything but your ability and speed of replacing the fan. IMHO 👎

Herman

Herman the original squirrel cage fans are metal and are known to crack/break, causing noise. The plastic fans seem to hold up quite well, I've never read of someone replacing a plastic replacement fan.

7 hours ago, rayin said:

Herman the original squirrel cage fans are metal and are known to crack/break, causing noise. The plastic fans seem to hold up quite well, I've never read of someone replacing a plastic replacement fan.

In a newer coach like my Entegra, those plastics squirrel cage are know to explode without warning.  Supposedly it is being made a little thicker now.   

41 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

In a newer coach like my Entegra, those plastics squirrel cage are know to explode without warning.  Supposedly it is being made a little thicker now.   

I didn't realize you have a basement air conditioner/ heat pump?

Edited by rayin

24 minutes ago, rayin said:

I didn't realize you have a basement air conditioner/ heat pump?

No the coach has 3 a/c heat pumps on the roof and use same type plastic squirrel cage to draw from filter returns and then blow through ceiling ductwork in three zones.  

Having seen the size of the blower fan in a basement unit I'm sure huffy does not have the same fan in a rooftop unit, he is mistaken. There is no room for 2 12" fans in a rooftop unit. Yes the RVP basement unit has 2 fans inside, did anyone read the repair instructions in the link I provided?

As to ease of work, the basement unit slides out onto whatever support the worker desires and remains hooked up to electricity if desired. The housing may be removed and everything serviced while standing on the ground, test ran before replacing the housing, then simply slid back into the MH and ductwork reattached. This is a 2-stage 2-ton air conditioner that cools my MH very easily in 100° weather, when proper steps are taken. Best part, very little noise in the RV when it is operating.

Edited by rayin

4 hours ago, rayin said:

Having seen the size of the blower fan in a basement unit I'm sure huffy does not have the same fan in a rooftop unit, he is mistaken. There is no room for 2 12" fans in a rooftop unit. Yes the RVP basement unit has 2 fans inside, did anyone read the repair instructions in the link I provided?

As to ease of work, the basement unit slides out onto whatever support the worker desires and remains hooked up to electricity if desired. The housing may be removed and everything serviced while standing on the ground, test ran before replacing the housing, then simply slid back into the MH and ductwork reattached. This is a 2-stage 2-ton air conditioner that cools my MH very easily in 100° weather, when proper steps are taken. Best part, very little noise in the RV when it is operating.

Again I wasn't talking about size as size don't matter.  What I pointed out was both had same type of squirrel cage blower wheel and they were exploding unexpected.  No complaints about noise until the blower breaks and three 19,000 BTU units cools or heats quickly.  Then one or two may run as needed.  

I only stated in the beginning that plastic blower blades were known to explode not to compare 20 years different in technology.   

Correction a/c - heat pumps, they are 15,000 btu x 3 = 45,000 btu total.  

Edited by huffypuff

Obviously I know nothing about your 19,000 btu rooftop units didn't even know  that size was made. We have different experiences, the basement units plastic fans don't seem to be failing like what you have experienced.

21 hours ago, rayin said:

I've never read of someone replacing a plastic replacement fan.

My original fans on Carrier AirV were plastic, and I have had to replace them because of age they deteriorated and broke.

Thx to all for the help and info I am going to order the fan and bearing and thinking about trying it 😵!

I have check with 2 repair place and they look at me like what that basement unit . We do not work on them. I am in Willow tree resort for a few more day and going back to Augusta Ga. Anyone know of a repair shop that will take this on?

After the unit is removed from the MH any residential HVAC repairman should be quite capable of making any repairs. For some reason residential HVAC repairmen are not allowed to work on RV air conditioners while in/on the RV. When calling explain this is very like any residential unit only it has 2 120VAC compressors instead of one 240VAC  compressor.

This video may be useful: How to replace the power board. There are several other videos on the basement unit when you go directly to utube.

Edited by rayin

3 hours ago, rayin said:

Obviously I know nothing about your 19,000 btu rooftop units didn't even know  that size was made. We have different experiences, the basement units plastic fans don't seem to be failing like what you have experienced.

I corrected my post, they're 15,000 btu heat pumps.  I haven't experience the blower fan failing  but a few Entegra Coach Owners Association members has blower wheel failure and was noted what to do when it happens.