hermanmullins

60 Series Detroit Diesel

Does anyone have information on 2005, 515 HP 60 Series Detroit Diesel? How do they compare to a 500 HP Cummins? More or less Maintenance? I know there differences with power to weight ratio but generally how is the economy (mpg)?

Looking at a 2005 Monaco Signature with a 515 60 Series Detroit Diesel. (113,000 miles approx.)

Herman   

More intercity busses in that time frame ran the Detroit 60 series than any other. Very dependable and repair shops easier to find than other engines for coach use. Cant compare fuel mileage though.

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Does anyone have information on 2005, 515 HP 60 Series Detroit Diesel? How do they compare to a 500 HP Cummins? More or less Maintenance? I know there differences with power to weight ratio but generally how is the economy (mpg)?

Looking at a 2005 Monaco Signature with a 515 60 Series Detroit Diesel. (113,000 miles approx.)

Herman   

What is the displacement on the 60 series DD and the weight of the coach?

Herman, if it was maintained properly you should have no issues. We have them at work with over 1 million miles. IMHO that was the best engine Detroit diesel made pre-emissions. 

As for fuel mileage, with 515HP 1650 ft lbs torgue @ 1200 rpm, the determining factors as to how good that is, is weight, how you drive, how you drive, and how you drive. The weight factor for a MH, (unless of course your wife is a rock collector like Lucy), is almost negligible for that engine.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:31 AM, hermanmullins said:

That is barley broken in. My ISM Cummins came to me with 125,000 miles on it and I wasn't concerned.

Bill

As a comparison, my DD 13 is 12.8L, 781CC, 500 HP, 1650 ft/lbs torque and weighs about 2,580 with it's 42 quarts of oil.

33 minutes ago, five said:

with it's 42 quarts of oil.

Wow that is a lot of oil. I am glad my ISM only takes 40 quarts of oil. :P By the way I am running Shell Rotella T-6.

Bill

Edited by wildebill308