JanieBear

Need guidance! Need to level safely.

Bought  my '74 FMC in October, just moved. I called previous owner, she no longer has levelers underneath. So  am facing uphill and need to raise the rear about 4 inches. Not sure of best way. 

I can get anderson type levelers, but getting six (rear dualies) would be costly. Can jack up rear (where is safe ?) And put to steel jacks in.

Need guidance.

Camping World and other RV suppliers sell stackable drive on levelers that work pretty well for lighter weight coaches such as yours. Would recommend this type of leveling over jacking the RV. Here is an example, https://www.ebay.com/itm/144016747984?epid=5016409348&hash=item2188112dd0:g:Jy8AAOSwFzZggWXC. Rear wheels really need to stay on solid footing because this is where the parking brake is located.

Edited by kaypsmith

If you are describing raising the FMC 4", like running the wheels up on blocks, here is what I did for our previous MH.  The ramps were 2 x 10" and I have since changed them to 2 x 12" for our newer one.  I'm using 3 2x10's with 3/4" plywood to prevent splitting. These 3 ramps give me about 8" of rise. With only 4 inches you should only need 1 with 3/4 plywood on each side. Use treated lumber.

ramp.jpg

Ha ha! Bill we posted about 1 second apart.  Amazing how smart like minds work together.

The only reason that I suggested the plastic ones is because I bought lumber this week, prices are out of sight. I actually now use a rubber stall mat today from tractor supply, cut into appropriate size with a utility knife. Best investment ever for this purpose, they wont rot, or split from the weight of my heavy coach.

Edited by kaypsmith

2 x 12 x 8 is about $36 at hardware stores. You'll only need 1 and some 3/4 inch plywood. You can buy that in half sheet sizes and cut to fit the 2 x 12.  I used stainless steel screws. Used regular screws last time and the heads will rust off..not good.

Herman, I don't think he is "blocking" up the rear just raising it by running up on pads. If one side is lower than  the other than only that side needing the rise needs to have levelers under it.  What am I missing.

JanieBear. What are you trying to accomplish? Rasing the rear wheels just to level? For how long?  In the picture I posted I back in and raise the front. Not for the faint of heart running up 8 inches on boards. My wife is the ground guide and I do pay attention to her.  I can also feel the bump as I go over each level and on the last bump my left foot (always on the brake) hits the brake. She then inches me back.

Are you wanting to store the coach with the rear raised and if so, why raise it.  Four inches is not a lot of rise.

Having had the FMC 2900R, 440 engine in rear, 1973.  What Bill, Kay, Wayne wrote, will work fine...I used 12" w x 16" L x 2".  Kept the fridge happy! 

I can remember not too long ago when you could buy 3/4" CD 4'x8' plywood for $15.00. At the price you showed I can't even guess what a sheet of Marine plywood would be. 🤔

Herman 

Yes Herman, Marine plywood 3/4 is $120/00 per sheet right now. I bought 2X4X12's Pressure treated today. $12.87 each. Lumber products are through the roof right now, the blame is on storms and Covid 19. I blame it on inflation, the same thing happened back in the mid 70's, that is when I closed my last cabinet shop due to being able to bid jobs and still make a few dollars.