mimipa

Switching to led lights

I have a Damon Daybreak Classic 3204 and I change over to LED lights and have a problem with my bathroom light. It is a double light bulb . On it works great, but off the left side stays on half bright. Does anyone have a fix.  Andy

1 hour ago, mimipa said:

I have a Damon Daybreak Classic 3204 and I change over to LED lights and have a problem with my bathroom light. It is a double light bulb . On it works great, but off the left side stays on half bright. Does anyone have a fix.  Andy

Andy, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Did you install Diodes  in the  wiring ? It is required if there are other incandescent Lights in the same 12 volt circuit used to power The bathroom circuit! You may need some personal help to install what is called steering diodes in the fixture in the bathroom.  

Rich.

What brand LED ‘a did you purchase? I have heard NUMEROUS complaints about off brands from China. 

12 hours ago, dickandlois said:

On it works great, but off the left side stays on half bright. Does anyone have a fix.  Andy

If you turn inverter off, remove shore power and leave the generator off, does the half bright go completely off then?

I bought cheapie 12v LED bulbs from Amazon for every 12v light socket in our MH except florescent, but changed them out weeks apart. All have worked properly without any modifications whatsoever. I bought them 4 years ago thinking even if 1 or 2 bulbs went bad quickly i'd still be money ahead. On the exterior all but headlamps are LED bulbs.

My last accounting I have  approx. $28 in cheapie LED bulbs on the interior and exterior. I"ll not replace the florescent bulbs, I can live happy without their light anyway.

Herman, I gave up on the "Hard" stuff in 2013.  A glass of red wine a day, per my Doctor is good.  At 78, I take no prescription meds! 😁

mimipa, any auto parts store should carry them, including LED's!  Wall Mart included along with Amazon!  

RayIN, in 2014 I changed out all my running lights and most interior lights to LED's on the AC Tradition.  I got them from Alibaba for less than $100....think they'll last longer than that coach!

dons2346, had that problem on  my 2007 WB Tour!  Fun...

All,  

I am also planning to change all DC overhead, interior lights in my coach to LEDs.  From reading this topic and reviewing a few videos this seems fairly simple.

1. Pull out the old incandescent units, noting the positive and negative wire leads,

2. Reattach the new LEDs, again ensuring the positive and negative wire leads are aligned with the new LEDs, and

3. Test to verify secure connections and lighting.

What more might be involved here and what troubleshooting may be required?

Also, there are generally 3-4 lamps or units per switch, and I understand these units will be wired in parallel and all I need to do is again correctly match the positive and negative wire leads.   Please advise any other guidance and/or insights for this LED upgrade project.   Thank you for your help.

---   Jon

3 minutes ago, schoonmakerjon said:

All,  

I am also planning to change all DC overhead, interior lights in my coach to LEDs.  From reading this topic and reviewing a few videos this seems fairly simple.

1. Pull out the old incandescent units, noting the positive and negative wire leads,

2. Reattach the new LEDs, again ensuring the positive and negative wire leads are aligned with the new LEDs, and

3. Test to verify secure connections and lighting.

What more might be involved here and what troubleshooting may be required?

Also, there are generally 3-4 lamps or units per switch, and I understand these units will be wired in parallel and all I need to do is again correctly match the positive and negative wire leads.   Please advise any other guidance and/or insights for this LED upgrade project.   Thank you for your help.

---   Jon

Jon, The one item you will need to get information on regarding changing the exterior lights to Led's is installing steering Diodes in the positive  12 volt supplies  to keep them from back feeding other lighting circuits.

Rich.

20 minutes ago, dickandlois said:

Jon, The one item you will need to get information on regarding changing the exterior lights to Led's is installing steering Diodes in the positive  12 volt supplies  to keep them from back feeding other lighting circuits.

Rich.

I've never heard of steering diodes, and all my LED lights work fine, exterior and interior. I now have 120VAC LED bulbs replacing 12V florescent bulbs that work fine in the living room, they are kinda yellow=cast though.