Any ideas if a MDT -2006 freightliner M2 is harder/ more expensive insurance wise than a 2015 Ram dually? Which insurance co will insure MDT? We are full time, pulling a DRV 5th wheel heavy, 21000 lbs loaded. 
I feel that an MDT is safer but how much will it cost to switch?? Truck prices are similar.
Thanks for any help from those of you who drive MDT.

pbandj.rv.  Welcome to the Forum! 🙂

I think I know what a "MDT" is, but to make sure for me/others, please be more explicit.  

pbandj.rv, welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience but the first step I would do is talk to your insurance agent. They would have current numbers.

Bill

7 hours ago, manholt said:

pbandj.rv.  Welcome to the Forum! 🙂

I think I know what a "MDT" is, but to make sure for me/others, please be more explicit.  

I think its a medium duty truck, between a pick-up and a 18 wheeler.

Kay, I looked for it and your right.  I see them hauling heavy horse trailer/living quarters around.  Like a mini truck tractor!

MDT is a medium duty truck as desertdeals69 stated. Strange when my Ram is considered a Heavy duty truck when it comes to pickups. I was hoping that someone who owns a Freightliner M2 would comment on the insurance cost etc. 

We pull a DRV Mobile Suites  5th wheel which is close to 21000 lbs loaded and that is maxing out the Ram. I see several people using a regular semi set up to pull their rig but don’t want to go that big. The freightliner M2 looks like a better set up for us. Crew cab set up with a Sport Chassis or Summit Hauler bed. 
Thanks 

When I had my wood shop I used a step van with a GVWR of 9600 lbs. After closing the shop I transferred the step van to myself as a personal vehicle. I had absolutely no problem getting insurance for it from the same company that insures my autos - West Bend Mutual. It was not any more expensive than the cars either. Not, strictly speaking, a MDT, but it's certainly more heavy-duty than most pickup trucks.

My suggestion would be to contact a good INDEPENDENT insurance agent. Not one who represents/works for one company, but a truly independent agency which can write policies for multiple companies. Helps if they can get your home and auto policies written with the same company, like we're doing, as you usually get a discount. A good independent agent should easily be able to write a policy for a MDT used for personal use.

Herman, not Chevy!  Ford. 🙂

pbandj.rv.  A friend has 3 off them...wife a 2 daughters, they haul show horses and living quarters in 3, 51 foot, Fifth wheel trailers built by Newell in 2012.  The M2's are Insured by Allstate!  Trailers by Farmers!