Kengineer

Huntsville AL->Pagosa Hot Springs->Arches NP->Canyonlands NP->Captol Reef NP->Grand Teton NP->Yellowstone ??

Question

Our family (4) got the first taste of RVing in December 2020 with a class C rental. We recently bought an Entegra Qwest and been practicing at area state parks. Trying to do this in a month, start date is fixed. Here is my newbie idea of itinerary. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

June 12th - Depart early

June 14th - PagosaHotSprings resort- via I70W-> arrive in the morning and spend a night at resort

June 15th-June 19th -> attempt  Arches NP->Canyonlands NP->Captol Reef NP->Grand Teton NP

June 19th-June24th -> Yellowstone Madison campgrounds (confirmed reservation)

June 24th-July 11th-> Not planned. Return date is flexible

Welcome to the Forum. First where are you starting from, Huntsville, AL?

You have a pretty hefty schedule. Travel one day to a place that you would like to visit. Take a day ot 2 to see the area. Then travel a day to another spot and again stay a day or two. 

Keep you mileage to no more than 250 miles a day. 

You seem to have the time to smell a lot of roses so do it.

Good luck safe travels and again welcome.

Herman 

Ken, welcome! 🙂

I like your plan!  On the way back, I suggest you take in Zion & Bryce NP,  relax and go see the place or places that you would like to have had more time in, on the way!

We will be in Cortez, CO., the 27th for 5 + weeks...it's a summer thing.  I still have not been to all the places we want to visit, 10 years now!  Last summer we spent 2 weeks in Kanab, UT., Zion, Bryce, Vermillion desert, Peek a Boo Canyon, etc. a lot of 4x4'ing in our Jeep KJ.  

After spending 1 night in Pagosa, you'll want to spend weeks in that area!  I hope you have a reservation in hand, for all the places you wish to stay!

Herman is right....take your time going home!  

2 hours ago, Kengineer said:

We live in Huntsville. Yes probably trying to do much but thinking rushing to Colorado and from there slowing down. 

Welcome to the forum. Are you retired? What are you taking as a toad?

Bill

Bill, his coach is a 25' Class C, Sprinter chassis...some have a small toad, some don't.  Some have EBikes!  Most that I have seen, can't get out of their own way, so adding a toad is no fun in the mountains!

10 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Welcome to the forum. Are you retired? What are you taking as a toad?

Bill

Thanks. No not retired yet. I need to get the kids out of college first. I am not going to tow. I am going to keep it simple as possible. Between the family there are various mode of transportation (onewheel, segway, electric bike).

11 hours ago, manholt said:

Ken, welcome! 🙂

I like your plan!  On the way back, I suggest you take in Zion & Bryce NP,  relax and go see the place or places that you would like to have had more time in, on the way!

We will be in Cortez, CO., the 27th for 5 + weeks...it's a summer thing.  I still have not been to all the places we want to visit, 10 years now!  Last summer we spent 2 weeks in Kanab, UT., Zion, Bryce, Vermillion desert, Peek a Boo Canyon, etc. a lot of 4x4'ing in our Jeep KJ.  

After spending 1 night in Pagosa, you'll want to spend weeks in that area!  I hope you have a reservation in hand, for all the places you wish to stay!

Herman is right....take your time going home!  

No only reservation is Yellowstone so far. Just getting started on the schedule. I think I got lucky on Yellowstone, hopefully more luck is in store for me. I was wanting feedback if there was a better route with different things that are better to stop at. Also need suggestions on the route back. Also thinking Glacier National Park after Yellowstone.

I would spend a day trying to locate sites in Pagosa Springs and in the Utah Big Five Park areas before spending more time on adding places to your itinerary. I predict its going to be almost impossible to easily find sites at this late date. A friend is going to Glacier in July and the closest place he could find is over an hour west of the park and he did this in February. 

Not knowing the USA/Canada border opening....we made all our reservations for this summer, in June 2020!  We could cancel some if needed....Now it's needed to keep, Canada will not be open anytime soon!

Trying to do 5,800+ miles in 5 weeks and visiting NP's for 2+ weeks....does not compute!  Especially without reservations, in a motorhome....forget about Glacier!  You have 2,700+/- miles to Yellowstone, by your route and a 1,800 mile trip back home with no stops!

We have around 9,000 mile trip planed, in 5 months....

Edited by manholt

As noted, you do have a pretty demanding schedule.  Before you get too far into this, you need to try and see about reservations in the popular spots.  Over the past few years with the big boom in RVing, the sites are being booked a as much as a year out.  You may have to stay at place quiet a few miles out from your destination area.  

Also, plan to spend several days in an area to see everything before you move on.

Remember that vacations are supposed to be fun, not stressful days driving.

Ken

Edited by txiceman

4 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

A friend is going to Glacier in July and the closest place he could find is over an hour west of the park and he did this in February. 

That isn't that bad for Glacier. We have stayed a couple different places. Last time it was at  Glacier Peaks RV Park & Campground on the west side where 40 and 2 intersect, 3185 Mt Highway 40 W, Columbia Falls, MT 59912. Not bad but realey tight.

Kengineer, you might as well scratch Glacier off for this trip. You can't drive your RV on the Going to the sun road because it is to long and they don't allow bikes. The only option would be if you can get a reservation would be the Red Bus Tour's. They are great but may be to late this year to get on the list.

Bill

Bill, they are also requiring reservations to simply to enter Glacier unless you're camping in the park.

NEW IN 2021

Glacier National Park is instituting an online reservation system (ticketed entry) for the Going-to-the-Sun Road corridor between the park’s West and St. Mary Entrances from May 28 to September 6, 2021. Visit the Going-to-the-Sun Road Ticketed Entry page to learn more. 

Really appreciate all the responses. Yes not much planning and will try to make more reservations but it is hard right now. Hopefully luck and possible boondocking might is an option. My RV is 25ft long, I can pretty much go anywhere. I am a newbie and will try to learn more. Yeah probably Glacier is a nogo.

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Not knowing the USA/Canada border opening....we made all our reservations for this summer, in June 2020!  We could cancel some if needed....Now it's needed to keep, Canada will not be open anytime soon!

Trying to do 5,800+ miles in 5 weeks and visiting NP's for 2+ weeks....does not compute!  Especially without reservations, in a motorhome....forget about Glacier!  You have 2,700+/- miles to Yellowstone, by your route and a 1,800 mile trip back home with no stops!

We have around 9,000 mile trip planed, in 5 months....

Yeah just got the RV 3 weeks ago. Yeah I wished I could of planned better.

Note.  Since they came out, I have never seen a Segway in a Campground or tourist attraction in North America!  Outside the US?  All the time, at airports, towns, outside in historical museums, etc. 

Edited by manholt

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Note.  Since they came out, I have never seen a Segway in a Campground or tourist attraction in North America!  Outside the US?  All the time, at airports, towns, outside in historical museums, etc. 

I don’t understand how this relates to the thread. 

At the parks, does anyone in your family collect the National Park Passport Stamps?  It adds a lot of fun for kids and adults and creates a dated record of your visits to look back at.  See photo.

20210511_163203.jpg

Ross, the OP said he does not tow, but his kids have...."one wheel, ebike and Segway for transport with them!"  Scroll up and read the post...Geez!

2 hours ago, manholt said:

It is the cheap version but works well. It is a Segway ninebot with a handle that is bought separately. I even take it to the golf course. I like it better than a electric bicycle. I took it to Gulf Shores, Montesano, Guntersville, Rock Island and Fall creek Falls state parks. 

24 minutes ago, aztec7fan said:

At the parks, does anyone in your family collect the National Park Passport Stamps?  It adds a lot of fun for kids and adults and creates a dated record of your visits to look back at.  See photo.

20210511_163203.jpg

My wife collects mugs for every park we go to. Great idea, I will try that. Thanks!!

Ok just got back and made it back in one piece. Only hiccup was the ac on the motor home went bad at Yellowstone. Got lucky and found Marty in Cody Wyoming to replace the AC top unit (Coleman Mach 15) in a hour. The original ac was a black low profile and he only had the white regular Mach 15 but it did fit and worked well. We didn’t need it at Yellowstone and Grand Tetons anyways and it was on the way so no time lost. So we did Garden of the Gods, pagosa hot springs (wife thinks the hot springs cured her fungus toenail) Canyonland, Arches, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Badlands, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, the mall of America and explored the North Shore scenic drive in Minnesota before going home. Left on 12 June and got back on 9 July. I think overall an excellent vacation. We did it without a tow car and never had a problem parking the RV in the parks or the downtowns we visited. Only regret is badlands. We spent 3 nights at the badlands/white river KOA. One night would of been enough. Maybe got spoiled from the previous parks but didn’t find it 3 nights worth. 

In that extensive trip, did you find anyplace you want to return to and spend more time?

Thanks for the update!

Oh to be young again. You did a 3-4 month trip for me in less than a month. You saw some beautiful country and now that you've been, pick out 3 or 4 of those places to go back and spend the same amount of time.