ttbikes

Levelers Not Working.

I own a 2006 Airstream 396XL Motorhome. The fluid reservoir fell out on my motorhome or was stolen (mechanic says it was stolen), leaving us with all four levelers down and unable to move. Without hydraulic fluid, we couldn't even override the system, and the mechanic had take the levelers entirely off before were able to move.  As we are full-timers, this may take a long time to get resolved.  As I read my manual, it says not to use the slide-out unless the levels are down and the coach is level. The spot where my coach sits now is pretty level (less than one degree off).  Airstream sides are very short (about 16"). This leaves me with some questions. 1. Would it be ok to put the smaller rear (bedroom) slide out just once to retrieve some articles that are now trapped?  2. Is there any way to stabilize the level coach enough to use the slides.? 3. Are the warnings about not using the slides about it being level or stabilized or both?

I would not worry about 1 degree!  I take it that your slides are electric and your on a park 30/50 amp?  As long as your Air brake is engaged, you won't go anywhere, but block the front tires if you wish!  Put the slides out and enjoy your wait.

Why did the mechanic take your jacks?  Why did you move?  

I was wondering also why the jacks were taken.

Releasing the hydraulic lines on the jacks, they could be pushed up manually and then tied in place until a pump is installed.

Wayne, pump is not his problem...lost hydraulic reservoir is the problem.  Sorry, but in almost 55 years, that is a first for me! :rolleyes::wacko:

As for the Jacks...your right.  Have done that several times! When a line would fail and fluid blew everywhere!

The guy could not get anything under them to push up I tried with a shovel and fulcrum but did not get anywhere but I did not know what I was doing. That is what the guy wanted to do and I what afraid without fluid in the system they might come down.

Guy and Lippet and never seen it either.

image.thumb.jpeg.3209af6c6594c641441b37be7a2c4496.jpeg

How about bottle or scissor jacks blocked and jacked to temporarily level the coach until the correct levelers are reinstalled?

12 hours ago, ttbikes said:

As I read my manual, it says not to use the slide-out unless the levels are down and the coach is level. The spot where my coach sits now is pretty level (less than one degree off).  Airstream sides are very short (about 16"). This leaves me with some questions. 1. Would it be ok to put the smaller rear (bedroom) slide out just once to retrieve some articles that are now trapped?  2. Is there any way to stabilize the level coach enough to use the slides.? 3. Are the warnings about not using the slides about it being level or stabilized or both?

All the manufactuers have similar warnings and most are more to cover their but. So owners don't try to do it when it is way out of level or so it is more stable. I can see a problem if the body was badly twisted it might be a problem

I seldom put my leavlers down if it is a level site. I think you would be ok putting the slides out. 

PS. Are you shure they are hydraulic? That looks like a big electrical cable attached to the front of the unit. 

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

4 hours ago, ttbikes said:

The guy could not get anything under them to push up I tried with a shovel and fulcrum but did not get anywhere but I did not know what I was doing. That is what the guy wanted to do and I what afraid without fluid in the system they might come down.

Guy and Lippet and never seen it either.

image.thumb.jpeg.3209af6c6594c641441b37be7a2c4496.jpeg

With that style pump and motor, the fluid reservoir looks like it could of very well slipped off if there was just a band holding it on.  

5 hours ago, huffypuff said:

With that style pump and motor, the fluid reservoir looks like it could of very well slipped off if there was just a band holding it on.

Bingo! I was thinking the same thing. That style pump reservoir is not designed to mount vertically. The small clamp couldn't hold the weight of the reservoir with fluid bounding down the road without something to support it underneath. 

It should have resembled something like this, the only thing holding MOST of those on is a large hose clamp. 

image.thumb.png.61057b9ed465086cbf174fef0d799f05.png

Edited by jleamont

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

Bingo! I was thinking the same thing. That style pump reservoir is not designed to mount vertically. The small clamp couldn't hold the weight of the reservoir with fluid bounding down the road without something to support it underneath. 

It should have resembled something like this, the only thing holding MOST of those on is a large hose clamp. 

image.thumb.png.61057b9ed465086cbf174fef0d799f05.png

Your picture shows a horizonal one and his appears like long vertical one with cap on top like on my 2 post lifts.  They have ones that bolt on and that may how it his may what he had.  Thinking of the design and looking at the picture again hitting bumps on the road with about a gallon of fluid it would have a tendency to rock back and forth and crack even if bolted with what appears is 4 bolts holding it on.   The crack spread until it fell completely off.  Looks like the part that is left is wet with fluid and splashed surrounding area.   https://www.carliftparts.com/lift-and-hoist-parts/oil-tank-reservoir-for-spx-power-units-5141ac/?network=g&device=c&keyword=&campaign=1740001091&adgroup=pla-301428449958

Edited by huffypuff
add link

17 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

Thinking of the design and looking at the picture again hitting bumps on the road with about a gallon of fluid it would have a tendency to rock back and forth and crack even if bolted with what appears is 4 bolts holding it on. 

Exactly, that's a lot of downward force and then you add hot to cold temperature changes along with the age and you could see how it fell off. 

On 5/16/2021 at 7:15 AM, ttbikes said:

I own a 2006 Airstream 396XL Motorhome. The fluid reservoir fell out on my motorhome or was stolen (mechanic says it was stolen), leaving us with all four levelers down and unable to move. Without hydraulic fluid, we couldn't even override the system, and the mechanic had take the levelers entirely off before were able to move.  As we are full-timers, this may take a long time to get resolved.  As I read my manual, it says not to use the slide-out unless the levels are down and the coach is level. The spot where my coach sits now is pretty level (less than one degree off).  Airstream sides are very short (about 16"). This leaves me with some questions. 1. Would it be ok to put the smaller rear (bedroom) slide out just once to retrieve some articles that are now trapped?  2. Is there any way to stabilize the level coach enough to use the slides.? 3. Are the warnings about not using the slides about it being level or stabilized or both?

Did you or  your mechanic find a replacement reservoir?  If not remove the broken flange to measure that and and then measure require length.  Then do google search with the manufacture of your pump motor assembly.   

Edited by huffypuff

12 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

All the manufactuers have similar warnings and most are more to cover their but. So owners don't try to do it when it is way out of level or so it is more stable. I can see a problem if the body was badly twisted it might be a problem

I seldom put my leavlers down if it is a level site. I think you would be ok putting the slides out. 

PS. Are you shure they are hydraulic? That looks like a big electrical cable attached to the front of the unit. 

Bill

No the slide are electric.

2 minutes ago, ttbikes said:

Bill

----------------------------------------------

Also when you say you seldom put you levelers down then if it is level do you 

put your slides out?

tt, yes!  I do the same!  Now, on mine if it's a couple of degrees off, I use my air levelers, I have both systems...air/jacks!

Your weight is probably 29,000 Pounds +/- !  I'm at 64,000+/-!

I'm surprised your reservoir lasted 15+ years!!!

Edited by manholt

Bill its and old coach but not many miles. LCI is the leveling system and they claim they have never seen it happen. They don't sell just the reservoir naturally so I will be buying a new pump assembly but that's ok because it is 15 years old and I don't like playing labor costs twice.

I weight in at 32,000 unloaded and Airstream slides never extend over 16 inches. I can feel a little wobble sometimes without the jacks down. Most people I am hearing from seem to think it will be ok to extend the slides but of course I don't want to create another problem.

On 5/16/2021 at 4:21 PM, manholt said:

Wayne, pump is not his problem...lost hydraulic reservoir is the problem.  Sorry, but in almost 55 years, that is a first for me! :rolleyes::wacko:

As for the Jacks...your right.  Have done that several times! When a line would fail and fluid blew everywhere!

Same same as releasing the lines at the jacks would release the pressure and should be able to get the jacks up, then secure them with "somthing!"  Lot easier than removing all the jacks! Removing the jack they would still have to remove the lines...me thinks.

TT, what's the present situation? Have you found a cure/replacement yet?

Oops! saw where you will be replacing the pump mechanism with tank.

Edited by wayne77590

8 hours ago, ttbikes said:

Also when you say you seldom put you levelers down then if it is level do you 

put your slides out?

Yes, Never had a problem.

Bill

TT, the first time I had levelers on a coach, was in 1981...in 1996 I had HWH Jacks and 2 slide outs.

Between  all of us who have responded to you, we probably have equal to 100 years +/-  of coach experience!  You can accept or reject.

My driveway slopes and I have to run up on 3 sets of 2 x 12's with 3/4 plywood added to each. Still leaves me with 1 degree or a little more. I can't put the front jacks down because that is where the slope is.  I put  my 23' slide and the two other slides out all the time when we are loading and unloading. We have a commercial refrigerator and we have not had a problem putting the slides out.