akadeadeye

Extended Warranty Proposals

We are rapidly approaching a decision on whether to buy an extended warranty on our 7-month-old coach and with which company. We have 42-foot 2009 Newmar, mid-engine 400-HP Cummins engine, and Allison 3000 Trany, which will be 1 year old October 21 and currently has about 6,900 miles on it.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. We are currently looking at proposals from Protective and Good Sam.

Don

We are rapidly approaching a decision on whether to buy an extended warranty on our 7-month-old coach and with which company. We have 42-foot 2009 Newmar, mid-engine 400-HP Cummins engine, and Allison 3000 Trany, which will be 1 year old October 21 and currently has about 6,900 miles on it.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. We are currently looking at proposals from Protective and Good Sam.

Having RV'd since 1979 and full-timed for five years and buying one extended warranty on a motorhome, we have learned to:

Put the payment amount in a separate motorhome savings account each and every month, investing in the best guaranteed return available such as CDs etc. and paying any repairs out of these proceeds. After owning several RVs over the years, some used and some new, I've found that I am several thousands of dollars ahead.

Bill

Hi Don,

What you are considering is a service contract, not an extended warranty. Read the T&Cs carefully. Remember, part A is covered and part B is not covered. Part B fails causing part A to fail. Claim denied. In addition, you must have all the recommended maintenance records for the failed component. The fridge goes bad. However, you did not have the annual maintenance done. Claim denied, no matter what the problem is.

You know your coach. If the coach has been relatively free from problems and there is nothing looming that needs to be repaired, consider Bill's advice.

I'm sorry I didn't comment on this topic earlier, but I was on vacation and when I got back I couldn't log onto the forum. Anyway, I have had some experience with the extended warranty that I purchased with my pre-owned Monaco Cayman. I purchased a contract through the dealer with the Phoenix American Warranty Company out of Miami, FL. They also go by the name Guardian Warranty. First, their main objective is to pay as little as possible for any warranty repairs, including not allowing for factory reconditioned parts, sufficient labor to complete repairs and replacement of any parts that may be 'marginal' but have not failed, regardless if their failure would cause potential dangers to you, your family and your coach. Their Customer Service should be called "Company Protection Service" since they make no effort to help you as the client or customer. They are rude, always adversarial and secretive in everything they do. You are completely left out of the 'loop' until you find out that you have to pay any amounts they refuse to pay. They are totally inflexible in their treatment of claims. They offer no substantiation or clarification of what they pay for or don't pay for. AVOID this extended warranty company under all circumstances. The last garage I used said they had good experiences with a warranty company called Easy Care, but I have no idea who they are or even if the name is correct. When I get my next extended warranty I plan to do a lot more research before I pay thousands of dollars for any service. Especially important is reading all of the conditions of the warranty and have the dealer summarize any questions in writing. Hope this helps.

We have a 1999 Monaco Windsor with a 330hp 8.3 Cummins. We purchased the Good Sams RV Extended Warranty Plan. We have Silver Plan which covers the major essentials of the Coach. $500 Deductible. We just used it for a electrical problem that cost $1000 to repair. We feel it is the safest way to cover yourself. $15000 in Warranty repairs have been made and $2000 in Deductible has been paid out. Payment for the plan is $330.00/qtr. About $110/month for this coverage. This is what we are doing. Thanks for the Space.

I have a Platinum warranty from XtraRide and bought it from WholesaleWarranties.net and was very pleased with the price and the coverage thay have provided. I have used it 3 times with no hassle and coverage as expected. Send Jeff Shelton an email at jeff@wholesalewarranties.net or call at 800-939-2806 ext703. Let him know Dave Wyatt refered you to him and he will give you a great price for a very good warranty coverage

Don,

You probably have already made your decision - but for what it is worth - let us relate our experience.

You probably have a high end coach like ours with lots of technology. When our coach was built, we took out the Good Sam Warranty for the first 4 years. 2 years after our coach was built the manufacturer, WRV, closed it's doors and we were orphans. We had many things go wrong on the APEX and Good Sam gave us a hassle with most claims but eventually paid most of the time - at the end of the 4 years we had paid $2800 for the 4 yr extended warranty with $100 deductible and they paid out about $3800 in claims.

We decided we did not want to renew thru them and looked for another company. After much investigation we settled with Go RV Warranty - CSI Care/National Allegiance - because they covered radiators where most Insurers won't cover them and the late model Alpines had a flurry of bad radiators. Well wouldn't you know - first trip out our Zantrex RS3000 Inverter died and that model had been discontinued and the new model would not interface with our Silverleaf On-Board computer that runs our coach! We had to have it programed to run with Silverleaf at an additional $400 expense. National Allegiance did not want to pay. So we went to the Agent who sold it to us (Jason@gorvwarranty.com) and he went to bat for us. It took 2 months but they eventually paid the whole claim. Part of our problem was with the RV Service Center that did the work who did not want to "work" with the Insurance Company. This 1 breakdown Cost us over $3400 and they paid all but about $300 and I think we paid about $3600 for this 4 year policy period. So yes - it does pay too have a good company if you are persistent and figure out how the game is played and you follow the rules for the "game".

The Swans

2007 40' MDTS Alpine Apex

H.B., CA

Don

We have Extend A Ride Platinum, had 5 claims within a year with no problems. The policy has already paid for itself and we have 3 years to go on it.

What ever you do READ everything on the warranty. We purchased a Star Interstate Warranty on our 2000 Safari Zanzibar. We've had a number of repairs, most of which were denied by the warranty company. We were not given the whole policy when we bought it. We signed the "contract" and then received the rest of the policy later (which we had to request 4 different times).

Good Sam has high marks for their warranty but it is pretty expensive. But then again, we've had over $12K in repairs of which Star only covered about $4K.