westmc

Engine cooling

I have a 2004 Damon Challenger with 91.000 miles on it. It has started overheating the last couple of years. I had the cooling system flushed out last summer. It still gets to hot. I just took the electric AC condenser fans off and used a coil cleaner (safe on aluminum) to clean the AC condenser and all the the radiator I could get to. My question would I improve the cooling if I installed bigger CFM electric fans than the factory ones?

Thanks 

Dan

1 hour ago, westmc said:

My question would I improve the cooling if I installed bigger CFM electric fans than the factory ones?

Welcome to the forum.

Yes it will. You could also look at upgrading your transmission cooler. Make shure there are no gaps that let the air go around the radiator stack rather than through it.

Let us know with a update.

Bill

You had the inside of radiator cleaned, but I would really think that the transmission cooler, CAC snd radiator sandwich needs to be cleaned on the outside. Search the forums for the cleaning process that FREIGHTLINER recommended to me. 

1 hour ago, wildebill308 said:

Ross, I think it is a gas coach. Cleaning can't hurt.

Bill

Didn’t know that. As suggested, a thermostat and bigger fan may help. 

I assume the MH ran fine prior to this overheating; instead of using band-aids(which only mask problems), find the root of the issue then make the necessary repairs to correct the issue. For instance new thermostat, new water pump, clean radiator fins, have diagnostics ran to find any codes related to cooling.

Looks like the coach has close to 100 K on the Engine.

I kind of wounder if the cooling system has been checker, including the water pump, Engine Thermostat and when the system was flushed  last ?

I see that it has a 8.1 L engine. Are there any codes stored in the ECM?

Rich.

Edited by dickandlois

The National Truck Maintenance Council has determined that a typical truck radiator loses 1% of its cooling capacity every year, even with perfect maintenance. Flushing it will not restore the lost capacity. You could be down 17% in cooling capacity in the radiator. It may be time for a new one.

5 hours ago, f430040 said:

The National Truck Maintenance Council has determined that a typical truck radiator loses 1% of its cooling capacity every year, even with perfect maintenance. Flushing it will not restore the lost capacity. You could be down 17% in cooling capacity in the radiator. It may be time for a new one.

Can you share a link to that?

Bill