navyjoe

My 2004 American Tradition 40V Load Weights and Tire size

I just purchased this coach. It has Michelin 295/80R22.5 LRH L front tires with a date code of 1510 (12 years old). Needless to say I dont want to go on vacation with those! The cracking on the sidewall is small but my understanding is no matter what even with Michelin 10 years is the MAX. My problem is finding a set of tires that size just cant be found in my area of Johnson City TN (top NE corner of TN).

One Dealer has a pair of 295/75 Goodyear Marathons but their load range is G (6,175 # at 110PSI) and speed rating of 75MPH. I have no idea of what the weights are on the front of this coach, haven been able to weigh it yet but even if the G could handle the load the 75 MPH rating seams potentially dangerious.

Just want some second opinions! Thanks!

Welcome!

Speed rating of 75 is a good thing!  A lot of brands go 65.  Toyos, Continental, BFG, Kelly, Hankook, to name a few are all good tires.  Most of us change out after 5-7 years.

Thanks both for the replys and input.

My main concern is the load rating. the 295/75 are loadrange G, one step down from the 195/80. Load capacity about 2000# lower. Again i'm going on the GAWR of the front which is 14,600#. Havent been able to put it on a scale yet to know what the actual weight of the coach is.

18 hours ago, navyjoe said:

the load the 75 MPH rating seams potentially dangerious.

Can you explain that to me?

What does the tire placard in your RV call for?

Bill

Edited by jleamont

My shop found a pair of Yokohama 295/80 s 104ZR tires. I consider myself lucky with all of the shortages of tires going on!

8 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Can you explain that to me?

What does the tire placard in your RV call for?

Bill

At some point I read my Michelins were rated at 81MPH which seemed much safer since some hightways our west have an 80MPH speedlimit

35 minutes ago, navyjoe said:

At some point I read my Michelins were rated at 81MPH which seemed much safer since some hightways our west have an 80MPH speedlimit

What is your toad rated for while being towed?

Bill

I would never buy lower load range tires than what is specified on the tire placard. IMO that is inviting tire problems. In addition to the brand Manhold listed, I am running Sailun truck tires LR H even though my tire placard specifies LR G.

Edited by rayin

1 hour ago, wildebill308 said:

What is your toad rated for while being towed?

Bill

About 3 hops per foot.

On 5/24/2021 at 7:33 PM, navyjoe said:

Can you find the reference for 81?  According to the Michelin RV tire guide 75 is the max operation speed for RV application.

18 hours ago, tireman9 said:

Can you find the reference for 81?  According to the Michelin RV tire guide 75 is the max operation speed for RV application.

Wish I could. There are so many different information sites at Michelin that I seem to have different results every time I go there. If I do find it again I'll definately post it.

Thanks for your input. So far Ive found no other reference than 75MPH myself and I dont plan on driving faster than that anyway. Great Tire guide by the way. Thanks

Edited by navyjoe

I did find the 81 mph, under HD Commercial truck/bus tires....rating "M"!

On my coach I have 365/70r steer tires and the other 6 are 315/70r....speed rated for 75.  If you wish to go the posted speed limit in a "cookie cutter" motorhome, by all means do so, but please stay away from Texas!

5 hours ago, manholt said:

On my coach I have 365/70r steer tires and the other 6 are 315/70r....speed rated for 75.  If you wish to go the posted speed limit in a "cookie cutter" motorhome, by all means do so, but please stay away from Texas!

We need to be careful when  looking at tire speed, load, and inflation ratings. The information for one size or line (design) of tires does not apply to others. For RV application I would defer to the information found in the RV Information booklet.

I wonder just how far and how long it takes to stop a 48,000 pound coach from 85???

Probably measured in foot ball fields rather than feet.

Bill 

16 hours ago, manholt said:

I knew I had run across that somewhere! Thanks for the info!  As for a "cookie cutter" motor home I beg yur pardon partner, I sold my cookie cutter, and now Im in the cupcake catagory with my American Tradition 😁😁. As for driving 80 in Texas, as a Texan one thing I know for sure. If I was driving 80 I would be passed by some Texas millionaire driving his Prevost towing his cadiliac with his longhorn hood ornaments. 🤠

Navyjoe.

Having had Class A motorhomes since 1967, number 18 now, IMHO "cookie cutter" applies to any brand that is not a bus conversion!

Last time I saw a Prevost hauling a Cadillac with longhorn in front, was in a Cannon Ball movie!  :P  

1 hour ago, wildebill308 said:

One of these days I will have a big fancy RV like you guys. 

Bill 

Not me unless there is another stimulus bill that includes a Newell.

Jim S.  We looked at a Newell and you're not short enough!  We could not get behind the steering wheel. :wacko:  Behind the driver seat there is a 32" high wall, behind the wall is the slideout....the wall contains the wire run & Newell won't change it.  :blink:

6 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Not me unless there is another stimulus bill that includes a Newell.

I did look at one that was in my budget range(and still ran) but they had painted the whole interior in a " Antique white". All that fabulous burled wood ruined. That and the gen set had  to many hours.

I would seriously look at some of the Fortravel coaches.

But till then I will poke along in my little camper.

Bill

On 6/11/2021 at 4:41 PM, tireman9 said:

Anybody who drive a class A above 75 MPH is crazy.  

63/65 mph on CC, is my norm on Interstate & some secondary roads in Texas & NM.  We are in no hurry! :)

I agree it is just those Da*%$ fools that think you should hit the bar ditch because they can't go 85 in a 65.

Beside I like how friendly they are as they pass, RED Faced and waving about how their team is #1 (ops my mistake wrong finger). :rolleyes::P

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins