Router/Extender/Repeater which?

Confused & Frustrated....

I have a simple topology

• No Modem, no cell phone coverage
    • Connects via 3rd party WiFi service using MAC address
  • Have a WD EX4100 NAS

What Router or Extender should I use?

• I have tried the ASUS AX-3000 but tech support is unable to get it to work
    • When I change from Router to Repeater Mode all connections are lost (not that I had any LAN or WAN anyway, just the desktop)

What is the difference between a Router (Router has Repeater Mode) and and Extender?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Squire Dude

A router is used to take a wan (wide area network) and make it usable to the lan (local area network). A repeater takes a lan signal from the router and repeats it to others on the same network, usually several feet away from the router in order to extend the origional signal. An extender basically is the same as a repeater. Both repeaters and extenders have to be joined to the origional network then an SSID is assigned to the repeater/extender, and a password should be added or you could leave the network unsecured, not a good idea. You will need a WIFI connection in order to make anything work. Does the laptop connect to a WIFI network? If it does, and if your cell phone can use WIFI calling, you will need to turn on WIFI calling and you will have to connect your phone to the same network that your laptop is connected to. I will be glad to help to get things going for you, but a phone is almost a must. You are welcome to PM me for help.

I understand frustration and confusion.

What are you trying to do?

What is working and what is not? What's connected to what and how?

A router takes a wired connection (UTP,Coax,Fiber) or a 3rd party WiFi signal and creates and connects devices on a unique local network (your stuff.) It often has the ability to repeat a WiFi signal to "extend" or "repeat" the effective coverage of an existing wireless network. An extender is a simpler device used to extend a local WAN signal.

1 hour ago, geeksontour said:

An extender is a simpler device used to extend a local WAN signal.

?  The ones that I have used extends the LAN  signal in order to be able to use the WAN signal through a router.