navyjoe

My 2004 American Tradition 40V Rotor pads unique

I took my unit in for brake work. So far it has been impossible to find the correct brake pads for the front rotors. Freightliner says they have them (based on Vin#) but the ones sent are too small. Apparently my unit had some upgrade that increased the pad to a lager one. Anyone else incounter this problem?

What did Freightliner say when you told them this? Who made your front suspension? Look at the old pads for numbers stamped into the steel backing.

Bill

4 hours ago, navyjoe said:

I took my unit in for brake work. So far it has been impossible to find the correct brake pads for the front rotors.

Who is doing the work? The shop should be able to identify and find the correct pads, As Bill said someone needs to find the numbers on the original pads and cross to what will work. Be sure that Freightliner did have the correct vin#, and sent the correct part for that number.

Edited by kaypsmith

12 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

What did Freightliner say when you told them this? Who made your front suspension? Look at the old pads for numbers stamped into the steel backing.

Bill

It is a Freightliner chassis. Initially the pads were ordered by Vin# and freightliner supply sent what was "supposed" to be the correct part. The shop doing the work did what you suggested and used those numbers and attempted to find a source for them. After a week of searching one set of pads were found and shipped in. Yesterday another set was found in Idaho and is being shipped. As usual, Covid has decimated the manufacturing and distribution of most everything. It took a week to find a set of tires! Sold out, no production runs scheduled, etc.

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

navyjoe, any photos with measurements? 

No measurements, but here is a picture of the pads that were pulled out. As you can see there is no pad material left. Basically steel on steel.

Worn brake pads.jpg

Edited by navyjoe

When I worked as a mechanic we took worn brake shoes and had them rebuilt. Are they able to take old pads and re-bond them with new Pads?

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins

6 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

When I worked as a mechanic we took worn brake shoes and had them rebuilt. Are they able to take old pads and re-bond them with new Pads?

Herman

I suspect thats possible. However this day in time rebuilding anything has become almost non-existant due to liability lawsuits and less expensive china supply chain

I know one thing. After this is all over I'm going to try and get a spare set of pads in case something goes wrong in the future. I wish there was a way to carry a spare tire since they too are almost non-existent.

Lots of folks carry a spare tire but no rim in their bays. Roadside services will mount the tire. Without the rim you will need to utilize the space wisely. Put water hoses and or power cables in the tire. Lots of stuff can go in the center.

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins

1 hour ago, navyjoe said:

It is a Freightliner chassis. Initially the pads were ordered by Vin# and freightliner supply sent what was "supposed" to be the correct part. The shop doing the work did what you suggested and used those numbers and attempted to find a source for them. After a week of searching one set of pads were found and shipped in. Yesterday another set was found in Idaho and is being shipped. As usual, Covid has decimated the manufacturing and distribution of most everything. It took a week to find a set of tires! Sold out, no production runs scheduled, etc.

So you now have both sets of pads located/coming in. How are your rotors?

I would bet you will never need brake pads again. Pads and brake problems are some of the least common problems I see on the forums especially on diesel coaches. It makes me wonder if your calipers were releasing properly or the previous owner road the brakes to much.

Bill

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Lots of folks carry a spare tire but no rim in their bays. Roadside services will mount the tire. Without the rim you will need to utilize the space wisely. Put water hoses and or power cables in the tire. Lots of stuff can go in the center.

Herman

Herman, I dont know if my bay is large enough. Also dont know ab out the weight. these 22.5 tires weigh over 100#. Im new to this type of MH and its been in the shop so long trying to get the maintenance done Ive only had 3 days to play with it since I bought it!😭

6 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

So you now have both sets of pads located/coming in. How are your rotors?

I would bet you will never need brake pads again. Pads and brake problems are some of the least common problems I see on the forums especially on diesel coaches. It makes me wonder if your calipers were releasing properly or the previous owner road the brakes to much.

Bill

Rotors were shot. New ones are in and installed. Just waiting for the pads now.

Everyone says that, but it has happened to me. Who would have guessed it would be in the shop for 3 weeks waiting on tires and brake parts!

Edited by navyjoe

13 hours ago, navyjoe said:

No measurements, but here is a picture of the pads that were pulled out. As you can see there is no pad material left. Basically steel on steel.

Wow! How many miles on the coach? As Bill said, this is not common unless a mechanical breakdown, or my wife on the brake pedal.

56 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

or my wife on the brake pedal.

Be carful she might read this!!:P

I can't find the picture I took but I have about 130,000 on my coach and don't think they have ever been changed. They still look to be over 75% left. 

navyjoe, I was longer than 3 weeks just for a awning.

Bill

9 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Wow! How many miles on the coach? As Bill said, this is not common unless a mechanical breakdown, or my wife on the brake pedal.

About 98800.

Many say they have far more miles than that, but the bottom line is brakes are always one of the items that are excluded from a warranty except for "manufacturing defects".

As the old disclaimer goes "your mileage may vary". The original owner claims he faithfully had maintenance work done on his coach and no one ever said he needed brakes. His last "M3" service was done a year ago and a lot of work was done but no mention of brakes. It was not done at an authorized Freighliner center however. that could make a difference I suspect.

22 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Herman

I have always carried a spare in my 45 years of motorhoming and about 10 coaches.  I have had to use the spare several times over the years.  When I went to Alaska I was told to carry a spare so I put an extra spare in the bed of the pickup.  Never need either one.  All of the people that had tire problems had trailers.  At least a dozen.