obiwan_canoli

Dometic Portable Fridge/Freezer

I recently picked up (on sale!) a Dometic Dual Zone fridge/freezer to add to the potential comforts afforded by additional storage space, particularly when boondocking. After posting on a different forum and getting only one response, I was curious if anyone else had acquired one of these, and what your opinion might be on its usefulness and efficiency. I bought the 75DZ model, Dual Zone, but won't actually get a chance to check it out for another 3 weeks, as I'm out of the country. Nevertheless, I was hoping for input from anyone that has one, or something similar, as to its effectiveness.

Thanks for your input!

My DW loves hers!  Came with our coach.  I had one installed in a 1987 Barth, glad we did, amazing how much Lobster meat it held. Same in Salmon fillets, Vancouver 1988!

Like Carl,  I have one that came with the coach. I haven't done much with it because I haven't ben on any trips where I needed it and I haven't filled the  freezer in my refrigerator. 

Bill

5 hours ago, obiwan_canoli said:

It might also make sense for me to install a sliding tray in the pass-through - the darn thing weighs 60 pounds

Mine is on a sliding tray in the first compartment on the passenger side. You can get the trays in any size. I would try to get one that comes out past any overhead obstruction like a slide. It makes it a lot easier to use/acess.

Bill 

Edited by wildebill308

Seems like it might be good idea to get two shorter trays for the pass through - one open to each side - rather than one long one, thus, accessible at greater length from each side...

Our 1999 model came with the MH. It reliably functions  as a refrigerator or as a freezer from both 120VAC and 12VDC. Although I must admit it takes some sampliing to find the correct setting for ice-cold beer-without ice in the bottle.  The drawer tray pulls out so the Dometic is actually outside the compartment. if we were to purchase a new MH a basement freezer would be part of the deal.

Check out the amp-draw and add that to the refrigerator amp-draw for boondocking.