ajjeklein@gmail.com

Hardwiring android phone to use to watch TV in RV

Does anyone have experience with hard wiring their Android phone using a digital AV adapter and HDMI cable to view via their streaming services? I know you can mirror wirelessly but want to have a back up as sometimes my wireless mirroring is unreliable and you have to have WiFi. If so, what brand and model of phone did you use and which adapter? I’m looking for an adapter that also charges the phone while using it to stream. Thanks.

We do this with a Samsung phone and an adapter (USB C to HDMI) in our van. Works great!

It does not work with all phones, though. My Pixel does not work with the cable, for instance.

There are adapters for iPhones and iPads as well.

Although some Samsung models have this capability most Android phones don't.

However, with iPhones a small adapter will permit HDMI output while still allowing for charging.  Apple charges an outrageous price for its adapter but I've been told you should avoid the cheap ones because they don't all comply with Digital Rights Management issues and don't always work.

I"m not sure if Android has the same capability, but Apple TV will Mirror an iPhone and no wireless network is necessary. It does it strictly between the iPhone and Apple TV.

There is an app for the Android called AllCast that will stream from phone to Apple TV.  Not the cheapest way to get it done, but ATV is a one time fee. I don't know what AllCast's costs are.

Search on "How to Connect Your Android Phone to HDMI" without the quotes.

Here is One Result

Edited by wayne77590